How to walk through Auburn’s haunted history

<p>An Auburn Eagle statue marks the beginning of a haunted tour.&nbsp;</p>

An Auburn Eagle statue marks the beginning of a haunted tour. 

Spooky season has arrived. One way to usher it in is by taking a look at haunted places here in Auburn and Opelika. It might be worth adding a few to your bucket list to check out this Halloween. Some of these places even offer tours of the grounds. 

Spring Villa Mansion, Opelika

The mansion was built and owned in 1850 by Penn Yonge and was later acquired by the city of Opelika in 1927. It now resides as the center of Spring Villa Park. 

According to the legend, Yonge was murdered in 1878 when he was stabbed on the 13th step of the staircase of his house. The Southern Paranormal Research group has said that ever since the incident, visitors have reported experiencing feelings of being sick and pushed when standing on the staircase.

Telfair Peet Theatre

It is believed that the ghost haunting the theatre is Sydney Grimlett, a Confederate soldier who once haunted what is now the University Chapel. Grimlett moved in the 1970s with the theatre. 

The University Chapel was originally used as a hospital during the Civil War, believed to be where Sydney died after receiving a wound during battle. 

According to an AU News article crafted and published by the University in 1998, students have claimed to hear rattling sounds in the walls and behind doors. Shadows are said to move across the room, too.

Samford Hall

Old Main used to stand in Samford Hall’s place before it was burned down in 1887. Just like the University Chapel, it was briefly used as a hospital to house soldiers during the Civil War. According to the previously mentioned AU News article, it is said that the ghosts of certain soldiers still occupy the area. Most notably, there is the ghost of a guard who watches over Auburn from his post in the bell tower.

Pine Hill Cemetery

Pine Hill was established in 1837 and is the oldest cemetery in Auburn. The historic cemetery has many stories about the individuals buried there, including a 7-year old killed by a bee sting and a man buried in his bed. 

The cemetery is also the resting place of many confederate soldiers and slaves who fought during the Civil War. 

According to Foursquare, a city guide forum, there have been reports of inexplicable hovering lights over graves, as well as a general feeling of uneasiness that lingers after dark.

Pine Hill Cemetery offers walking tours throughout the year that allow visitors to see over 30 historic graves. The tour caters to anyone who enjoys exploring history or hearing some ghosts stories along the way. 

Ethan Stamper | Campus Reporter

Ethan Stamper, journalism major, is the campus reporter for The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “How to walk through Auburn’s haunted history” on social media.