Auburn swept by Florida in straight sets

Volleyball vs South Carolina
Volleyball vs South Carolina

Auburn was swept by Florida in Gainesville to drop to 5-10 in conference play and 13-12 overall on the season.

With the balanced offense for Florida keeping the Auburn block guessing as to who Marlie Monserez was going to set, the front row for the Gators stole the show and kept up the assault on the Auburn defense to extend their winning streak to seven. 

T’Ara Caesar, Thayer Hall, and Lauren Forte were the heavyweights for the Gator offense, with Monserez setting up the team for a .305 hitting percentage while collecting 39 assists. 

The Gators dominated the first set against the Tigers, holding them to a .000 hitting percentage. Service errors were a huge part of the 25-11 first set loss for the Tigers, as well as the dominant front row for Florida receiving kill after kill. 

After dropping the second set 25-13, the Tigers rallied back for a competitive third set, but ended up dropping the set and the match with a score of 25-19. The Tigers were kept off balance offensively by the Gators; therefore, they were never able to start swinging aggressively or pass up balls that were not out of system. 

Rebekah Rath led the Tigers with 10 kills on 42 attempts to carry the Auburn offensive load for the match. The defense for Florida was well-prepared for a Rath-heavy offense and shut down any other hitting attempts for the Tigers, even though Auburn had four blocks on the night to Florida’s three. 

The Gators had several players reach double-digit kills. Caesar led the way with 12 kills (.226 hitting percentage), Hall collected 11 (.455 hitting percentage) and Forte rounded out the group with 10 (.667 hitting percentage). 

Even though the Tigers dropped all three sets to Florida, they slowly improved each set to eventually make the last set a battle. Auburn will need to look to start out with that kind of momentum as it takes on the No. 8 Kentucky Wildcats in Auburn on Saturday, Nov. 20th, at 4:30 p.m. CST. 

Emily Porch | Sports Writer

Emily Porch is a senior from Sylacauga, Alabama. She joined The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @emilycporch

Share and discuss “Auburn swept by Florida in straight sets” on social media.