Panthers sign former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton

<p>Former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton makes an appearance before the game. Auburn vs Clemson on Saturday, September 3 in Auburn, AL.</p>

Former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton makes an appearance before the game. Auburn vs Clemson on Saturday, September 3 in Auburn, AL.

Party like it's 2011, Panthers fans.

Former Auburn quarterback and Heisman winner Cam Newton signed with the Carolina Panthers on Thursday afternoon, first reported by The Charlotte Observer. It begins his second stint with the organization that drafted him No. 1 overall in the 2011 NFL Draft.

The 32-year-old Newton has been a free agent since being released by the New England Patriots on Aug. 31.

In his first stint with the Panthers, Newton threw for over 29,000 yards and 182 touchdowns, with his career-best year coming in 2015.

That season, Newton threw for a career-high 35 touchdowns and a career-low 10 interceptions on his way to leading Carolina to a 15-1 regular season record and Super Bowl V berth. It earned him Most Valuable Player honors.

The Panthers released Newton on March 24, 2020. He was signed to a one-year deal by the Patriots that June and started 15 games for New England in 2020.

For the first time in his career, Newton threw more interceptions than touchdowns in a season in 2020 (minimum three games). 

Sam Darnold, who has been the primary starting quarterback for Carolina this season, suffered an incomplete fracture to his shoulder blade and is expected to miss several weeks.

This could open the door for Newton to return to action in the NFL.

Caleb Jones | Sports Editor

Originally from Helena, Ala., Caleb Jones is a senior studying journalism at Auburn University. He has been on staff with The Plainsman since 2019.

You can follow him here on Twitter: @calebjsports

Share and discuss “Panthers sign former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton” on social media.