Plainsman Picks: Mississippi State

In this weekly series, The Plainsman's sports staff brings you opinions and predictions about the upcoming Auburn football game.

Oct 3, 2020; Starkville, Mississippi, USA; Tank Bigsby (4) running the ball during the game between Auburn and Mississippi State at Davis Wade Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn is looking to bounce back from a loss at Texas A&M and so are several of our writers that picked the Tigers. Here's how our staff picked this weekend's matchup between Auburn and Mississippi State.

Caleb Jones, Sports Editor: Auburn 27-21

@calebjsports

"I picked Auburn last week and that was a mistake picking the Tigers to beat a ranked opponent on the road. But this week is Auburn's first November home game. For some reason, November activates the Jordan-Hare wizardry where Auburn just doesn't lose very often at home. Especially to unranked opponents. The magical month of November and being back home is the perfect reason for Bo Nix to bounce back and grab the win."

Mattison Allen, Assistant Sports Editor: Auburn 35-24

@mattcurtlynn

"Auburn's win is going to come from its defense. The Tigers' offense was held to a season-low in points and offensive yards. I don't see that improving against Mississippi State. 

Mississippi State, however, is a pass-heavy offense as Smoke Monday said in his weekly press conference. This gives the Tiger defense an opportunity to increase its interception statistics, which I think it will do. 

The Tigers will win but I don't see it being a win to brag about."

Henry Zimmer, Sports Reporter: Mississippi State 27-17

@henryzimmer

"In Auburn’s last 11 a.m. game was a real disappointment against Georgia State and it will be again against Mississippi State. The Tigers cant score early and keep up with the Air Raid and fall behind, trying to come back for most of the game."

Tanner Marlar, Sports Editor for The Reflector (MSU student paper): Auburn 34-21

@tanner_marlar

"Coming into the week, if [Mississippi State] beat Arkansas, I had State winning. I think they carry that momentum on the road. However, after the quite defeating loss to Arkansas, I got Auburn."

Callie Stanford, Sports Writer: Mississippi State 24-17

@Stanford1Callie

"An early morning kickoff combined with offensive woes last week are a bad combination for the Tigers. I think Auburn will definitely get off to a better start and the offense will have more success, but a Mississippi State attack lead by Will Rogers is going to be too much for them to handle. 

The quarterback has settled in well on the back half of the season and his completion rate will be too much for the Auburn secondary to defend. This will especially if the offense fails to get going like they need to and the defense is forced to spend more time on the field.

The Tigers will look better than they did in College Station, but the Bulldogs have too much going for them to be taken down by an Auburn offense that has failed to score in their last six halves of play."

Henry Patton, Sports Writer: Auburn 35-20

@Henry_Patton23

"State has allowed for teams to throw all over them this year, so a bounce back performance from Nix seems likely to me. Defensively, Auburn’s secondary will have to be ready for the air raid, but I think the experienced Auburn secondary will do enough to secure the win."

Noah Griffith, Sports Writer: Auburn 31-22

@NoahGG01

"Mississippi State under Mike Leach is a team with a high ceiling and a low floor. We’ve seen them beat beat Texas A&M in College Station this season, but we’ve also seen them get all they can handle in a one-point win over Louisiana Tech and lose to Memphis. 

I expect Mississippi State to come in and play with nothing to lose, but in the end run out of magic in Jordan-Haire as Bo Nix has a bounce-back performance and wins over Auburn fans once again."

Jake Gonzalez, Sports Writer:  Mississippi State 45-20

Ashley Birdsong, Sports Writer: Auburn 28-17

Jonathon Hart, Sports Writer: Auburn 42-28

Matthew Wallace, Sports Writer: Auburn 38-24

Callie Stanford, Sports Writer: Mississippi State 28-17

Eamon Smith, Sports Writer: Auburn 28-18

Emily Porch, Sports Writer: Auburn 45-27

Jacob Waters, Sports Writer: Auburn 34-24

Kristen Carr, Sports Writer: Auburn 35-28

Dylan Fox, Sports Writer: Auburn 28-23

Mary Elizabeth Lane, Photographer: Auburn 17-14

Carl, No. 1 Bulldog fan: Mississippi State by a million

Share and discuss “Plainsman Picks: Mississippi State” on social media.