Plainsman Picks: South Carolina

Auburn against Mississippi State on Nov. 13, 2021 in Auburn, AL.

Ahead of Auburn's game with South Carolina, here's what some of our sports staff has to say about the game, complete with score predictions and analysis.

Caleb Jones, Sports Editor: Auburn 27-16

@calebjsports

"I want to pick South Carolina. It's an attractive pick, Auburn is on the road and coming off of two straight losses. But South Carolina is not Texas A&M or Mississippi State. I expect T.J. Finley to come out with some intensity, which may lead to mistakes, but he'll get the job done. Besides, I don't think I could forgive myself if I picked a South Carolina team that beat Vanderbilt by one and lost to Missouri to beat Auburn. I might regret it, but give me the Tigers."

Mattison Allen, Assistant Sports Editor: Auburn 28-17

@mattcurtlynn

"T.J. Finley is getting his first start for Auburn, but it’s not his first start ever. The former LSU Tiger went 17-for-21 against South Carolina in 2020 when he was in purple and gold. A change of uniform won’t change his talent. 

South Carolina is 2-5 in the SEC. However, will keep the game close due to its defense. The Gamecocks have a lot on the line because they need one more win to become bowl eligible, but I doubt that win comes against Auburn."

Henry Zimmer, Sports Reporter: Auburn 24-18

@henryzimmer

"Auburn has more than enough to play for at this point in the season. Getting back in the win column is crucial for Auburn if it has any hopes of beating Alabama. USC has a bad QB room and Auburn’s defense will feast. That unit cant play poorly for three weeks straight. T.J. Finley will throw for a score and rush for one. It will be closer than fans and the team will like, but a win is a win is a win." 

Henry Patton, Sports Writer: Auburn 21-13

@Henry_Patton23

"Offensively, Auburn will lean a lot on Tank Bigsby with Jarquez Hunter and ShCaun Shivers getting carries every once in a while. South Carolina has struggled to stop the run, so expect the Tigers to lean on the run game. South Carolina has 14 interceptions on the season, so I imagine Auburn will want T.J. Finley making simple, quick throws."

"Auburn's defense should have a bounce-back game as South Carolina leans very heavily on the run and I think the Auburn front seven will be able to stuff their run attack and force Jason Brown to make throws, and I don't think he will be able to do enough with his arm to lead the Cocks to a win."

Matthew Wallace, Sports Writer: Auburn 24-17

@mattwallaceAU

"South Carolina has struggled to stop the run this year, giving up 169.1 yards per game on the ground, ranking 90th in the nation. If Auburn can have similar success against the Gamecock defense, it can take the game out of T.J. Finley's hands and reduce the chances of mistakes by a new starting quarterback. 

While Finley has been with Auburn all season, being thrust into a starting role during the last three games would be difficult for anyone. Finley does not need to be spectacular, but he needs to avoid mistakes like the ones that cost Auburn at Williams-Brice Stadium last season.

The Gamecocks average only 205.3 passing yards a game, over 170 yards fewer than the Bulldogs offense that gave Auburn fits in the second half.The game will come down to Auburn's ability to run the ball, especially with Bo Nix out and Kobe Hudson likely out as well. Auburn rushed for 207 yards against an Ole Miss rush defense and, if they can have a similar performance on the ground, they could put themselves in position to succeed even without several key contributors."

Callie Stanford, Sports Writer: Auburn 24-17

@Stanford1Callie

"South Carolina is 2-5 in conference play and Auburn is looking to gain back some respect coming off a tough pair of losses. Under T.J. Finley, Auburn’s offense should have just enough to get things done, as long as the defense can step up and hold off the Gamecocks. Neither team will look particularly good, but I think Auburn picks up a much-needed win headed into the Iron Bowl."

Larry Robinson, Sports Writer: South Carolina 21-14

@ReportingLarry

"I just don’t think the run game is gonna it going and that’s gonna be the deciding factor for a team that has to score TDs with its kicker out. Finley probably plays okay but unless he finds a deep-threat receiver early, Auburn probably loses its second game in Columbia."

Noah Griffith, Sports Writer: Auburn 24-9

@NoahGG01

"Auburn is going to be out with something to prove after a tough loss last week and losing it’s starting quarterback to injury. TJ time is upon us. I don’t think the Gamecocks have enough offensive firepower to reach the end zone on the Tiger defense. They are a much easier assignment for this defense a week after seeing Mike Leach’s air raid."

Share and discuss “Plainsman Picks: South Carolina” on social media.