Rath sets Auburn record in senior-night loss to Kentucky

<p>Rebekah Rath (#7) celebrates after scoring another set against Alabama.</p>

Rebekah Rath (#7) celebrates after scoring another set against Alabama.

Auburn’s matchup on senior night ended in a Kentucky sweep of Auburn. The Wildcats came in as the eighth-ranked team in the nation and their play backed that up. 

Kentucky took the first two sets without much resistance from the Tigers. However, Auburn started out on a roll in the final set as they went on a 7-2 scoring run, but Kentucky stormed back to win and complete the sweep.

The Wildcats simply outpowered the Tigers in this matchup. Kentucky led every major stat category, including kills (42-25), digs (55-42) and blocks (9-2).

Alli Stumler and Emma Grome led the way for Kentucky with impressive performances. Stumler led the team in kills with 14 and added eight digs and two blocks. Grome made things work for the Wildcats behind the scenes. She did not steal the spotlight with kills or flashy plays, but she quietly racked up 33 of Kentucky’s 40 assists.

For Auburn, Rebekah Rath led in kills with 10 and senior Bella Rosenthal led in digs with 15. 

The positive takeaway for Auburn in this one was Rath set the Auburn single-season record in kills during the third set with 411. She finished with 10 kills on the day, pushing her up to 413 on the season.

Auburn falls to 13-13 on the year, while Kentucky improves to 21-4 and continues its five-game win streak.

Auburn will have a rematch with the Wildcats tomorrow, and that will be the last Auburn volleyball home game this season.

Share and discuss “Rath sets Auburn record in senior-night loss to Kentucky” on social media.