Battle of the bottom: Auburn and Texas A&M looking for first conference win

<p>Jan. 9, 2022; Auburn women's basketball team before a game against LSU from Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Jan. 9, 2022; Auburn women's basketball team before a game against LSU from Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn (8-7, 0-4 SEC) and Texas A&M (10-6, 0-4 SEC) meet on Sunday in a matchup of two teams that are looking for their first conference win of the season. Both teams enter on four game losing streaks and the programs are in desperate need of a win in a brutal conference slate.

The Aggies have had it rough lately, as three of their last four losses by 10 or more points to ranked teams, including LSU, Tennessee and South Carolina. The most recent one being a 65-45 thumping by the top-ranked Gamecocks on Thursday night.

The Aggie’s other loss in the four was a double-overtime heartbreaker versus Auburn’s last opponent, the Florida Gators. They dropped that game 97-89 after Florida finally broke it open in a second overtime period.

The Tigers also played Florida closely in their most recent action, but fell short of a comeback when the team’s top two scorers fouled out in the final minutes of the game. 

Another thing the two teams have in common is they both have guards with the last name Wells who knock down free throws. Auburn boasts the top free throw shooter in the SEC, Sania Wells, who is nearly automatic from the stripe at 92.5%. Texas A&M has Kayla Wells, its leading scorer, who shoots a league fourth-best 81.7% from the line.

Lately, Aicha Coulibaly has represented the majority of Auburn’s offense. She totaled 24 points against Florida and was the only player in double figures. Coulibaly leads the team and is fourth in the SEC in points with 18.6 per game and rebounds with 8.1 a contest.

Coulibaly has been the bright spot for a struggling offense that ranks 13th in the conference with 65.1 points per game.

The Aggies average 66.9 points per game and a major part of their offensive success is their 3-point shooting. They lead the SEC in long-range shooting, converting on 40.5% of their 3-pointers this season.

While Wells is Texas A&M’s leading scorer with 16.6 points a game, Destiny Pitts is the best deep threat, hitting 2.2 shots from beyond the arc per game and shooting 40% from long range.

The Aggies have attempted 81 more 3-pointers than the Tigers, who do their best work inside. The addition of 6-foot-5 center Precious Johnson should only booster Auburn's efficiency in the paint and increase their rebounding. She finished with seven points and five rebounds in her first start of the season against Florida.

Texas A&M returns home to College Station to face Auburn after playing three of its previous four contests on the road. Ranked No. 23 to start the season, the Aggies have fallen off the map lately. They long for a conference win to get their season moving in a positive direction again.

Auburn is 2-5 on the road this season. After being within one possession of its opponent in five of its seven road losses, Auburn is ready to put the first SEC win under head coach Johnnie Harris under its belt. 

The matchup between the two conference foes tips off at 4 p.m. CST on SEC Network.

Share and discuss “Battle of the bottom: Auburn and Texas A&M looking for first conference win” on social media.