Carlson era is not over yet: Auburn kicker to return

<p>December 28, 2021; Birmingham, Alabama; Anders Carlson (26) takes to the sidelines to watch Auburn take on the University of Houston in the 2021 Birmingham Bowl.</p>

December 28, 2021; Birmingham, Alabama; Anders Carlson (26) takes to the sidelines to watch Auburn take on the University of Houston in the 2021 Birmingham Bowl.

The book on the Carlson brothers' historical tenure as Auburn's placekickers won't be closed just yet, as Anders Carlson announced his plans to return to Auburn for a final season with a post to Instagram on Wednesday. 

Carlson took over for his brother, and now starting Las Vegas Raiders placekicker Daniel, in 2018 and has been Auburn's main guy since, only missing three games in his four-year career due to a season-ending surgery on his ACL after an injury during the end point of the 2021 season.

Before his injury, Carlson was coming off the best year of his career in 2020 when he banked in over 90% of all attempted field goals, including a game-winning kick to seal the deal for Auburn's fifth straight over the Razorbacks. 

The fifth-year senior will have to fend off the No. 1 overall high school kicking prospect in Alex McPherson to retain his starting role for the Tigers in the fall.

Larry Robinson | Photo Editor

Larry is a senior studying journalism with a minor in sociology. He is from Enterprise, Alabama and is in his third year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @ReportingLarry

Share and discuss “Carlson era is not over yet: Auburn kicker to return ” on social media.