Collections help students keep, create memories

<p>Korey Self displays his knife collection.</p>

Korey Self displays his knife collection.

Auburn University students have an array of collections that range from antique drinkware and tea sets to hunting knives.

The collections Auburn students have acquired over the years are special to them for various reasons. A few of the benefits students named about having a collection are the abili-ties to connect with people and learn about new things. 

Heather Mann, senior in mechanical engineering, said her collection of antique drinkware and tea set pieces has allured her to bring people together and create lasting memories.

“To me, my collection is a physical manifesta-tion of the feelings of connectedness and friend-ship,” Mann said. “I still use pieces of the collection to forge and strengthen connections with my friends and family.” 

Mann began her collection when she was in third grade and her teacher had an end-of-the-year raffle. There, Mann won a decorative painted teapot. 

Following the raffle, Mann started collecting pieces to have a tea party with her friends and family. 

Her collection has now grown to include items such as goblets, wine glasses, snifters and teacups.

“Being able to hand these items out to whoev-er is around me and offer them a fancy little tea-cup or an elaborate goblet to drink out of just makes the experience of being with that person  that much more special and memorable,” Mann said.

Korey Self, freshman in fitness, conditioning and performance, started collecting knives when he was 10 years old. His collection began after his dad and grandfathers handed knives down to him that they had collected over the span of a lifetime. 

This sparked Self ’s desire to become a knife collector, too. 

“Everywhere we travel, my dad, my brother and I look for a local knife shop to add to our collections,” Self said.

Like Mann, Self said the importance of his collectibles lies not just in the objects themselves.

“They are more than just knives,” Self said. “They are memories and connections to loved ones.”

Self said he has learned about many different types of knives because of his collection. Over the years, he’s learned how they work and how to properly take care of them. 

Catherine Haynes | Opinions Editor

Catherine Haynes, junior in journalism, is the opinion editor for the Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Collections help students keep, create memories” on social media.