Day trips: how to get out of town

<p>Hop in the car and day trip to these close-by destinations.&nbsp;</p>

Hop in the car and day trip to these close-by destinations. 

Looking forward to the weekend and want to break a monotonous routine in Auburn? There are plenty of places outside of Auburn to do so that are just a drive away.  

Here are some recommendations for day trips that Auburn students can take. 

Atlanta, Georgia

Less than a two hour drive away, Atlanta is a hotspot for entertainment. From the Georgia Aquarium to indoor skydiving, Atlanta is full of endless options to explore for the day. Attractions such as Centennial Olympic Park, World of Coca-Cola, the Ferris wheel at Skyview Atlanta, the CNN Center, the College Football Hall of Fame and more are all located in Downtown Atlanta. Alternatively, celebrate the 2021 World Series Champions, the Atlanta Braves, in Battery Park.  

With all of this and more, Atlanta proves to be worth the visit. 

Columbus, Georgia

The Chattahoochee River Walk is Columbus’s main appeal. However, if a stroll down the river is not enticing, then try out whitewater rafting or kayaking on the Chattahoochee River.

For a twist, there is even a zip-line over the river. 

“I went to Columbus with some friends one weekend, we got lunch at one of the restaurants in Uptown and walked around afterward and looked at some of the shops,” said Raeha Berbert, senior in speech language and hearing science. “I would definitely recommend it to Auburn students that haven’t been before. It’s a nice way to explore the different cities around us.”

Near the River Walk lies Uptown Columbus. This destination includes restaurants, shopping, ice cream shops and axe throwing. Uptown Columbus is brought to life by the many art centers located throughout town. Experience what Columbus has to offer with a short 45-minute from Auburn.

Montgomery, Alabama

Montgomery is the capital of Alabama and home to much of the state’s history. It is considered to be the location where the Civil Rights Movement began, and because of this, Montgomery is full of museums. 

This includes the Rosa Parks Library and Museum, the Alabama State Archives and History Museum and the Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald Museum. For an outdoor activity, visit the Civil Rights Memorial to honor those who lost their lives in the Civil Rights Movement.

After visiting the museums and taking in all of Montgomery’s history, take a trip to The Shoppes at EastChase to finish the day.

“When I go to Montgomery I like to go to the EastChase shopping center,” said Katharine Green, senior in public relations. “They have lots of outdoor areas to hang out but also plenty of shops that I could spend hours in.”  

Birmingham, Alabama

Birmingham is another historical destination and a must-see. Known as the Magic City, Birmingham offers endless activities to occupy the day. Birmingham has everything for everyone, including art exhibits, museums, parks, historical sites, restaurants and shopping. 

“I really enjoy making the day trip to go shopping in Birmingham,” said Jane Wickett, senior in nursing. “They have the big Summit shopping center, which has some of my favorite stores that Auburn doesn’t have.”

According to the Birmingham Zoo website, the zoo is an ever-evolving adventure and a must-see attraction in Alabama. Spend the day roaming around the home to hundreds of animals or take a ride on the Red Diamond Express Train.

Cheaha State Park

Take a break from studying and take a hike at Cheaha State Park in Delta, Alabama. Cheaha State Park is located at the highest elevation in the state. According to the state park’s website, for a five dollar admission fee, the park offers beautiful scenic views including waterfalls or trails that overlook Alabama. 

Jayne Duignan | Culture Writer

Jayne Duignan, senior in journalism and psychology, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Day trips: how to get out of town” on social media.