Coleman Turnipseed elected SGA vice president

<p>Coleman Turnipseed will serve as SGA vice president during the 2022-2023 academic year.&nbsp;</p>

Coleman Turnipseed will serve as SGA vice president during the 2022-2023 academic year. 

Coleman Turnipseed, junior in political science, was elected vice president of the Student Government Association for the 2022-2023 term. 

Once her name was called, a scream rose up from the crowd and hands flew into the air as ecstatic fans followed her to the bottom of the stairs behind Cater Hall.

Turnipseed ran against Brandan Belser, junior in political science, for the position, winning with 5,113 votes cast, or 67.53% of the total vote. Belser garnered 2,459 votes, or 32.47% of all votes received. 

When asked how she felt in the first moment, Turnipseed replied, “I’m so overwhelmed and so excited. I'm genuine ... like my teeth, I don't have words.” It was clear the 35-degree weather wasn’t the only thing putting her teeth on edge. 

Turnipseed said the first names that came to mind to thank were her team, Isabella Dee, Casey Rickles, Whitney Strong and Claudia Hubbard. 

“I really couldn’t have done it without them," she said.

Turnipseed stood for pictures and congratulated her fellow SGA leaders.

“It’s almost surreal. It's crazy,” Turnipseed said. “But I’m so excited. I’m so proud of everyone I’ve been working with.”

Cole Callahan, current SGA vice president, was enthusiastic and excited for the new team of members entering leadership.

Callahan said his best advice for Coleman was that “leading the senate is a daunting task. 34 people who are looking to you, in front of the room, is not something that gets easy or comes the first try."

“But it’s really all about staying true to yourself, staying true to the campaign you ran and knowing that people thought that you were the best person for this position, to trust the process and to make sure you know Robert’s Rules," Callahan said.

Robert's Rules being the parliamentary procedure set forth by U.S. Congress for how to conduct formal meetings.

Callahan took a moment to look back at when he was in Turnipseed's shoes only a year ago and shared what advice he would give to his younger self. 

“Trust yourself," he said. "There's no need for nerves. People are gonna make mistakes. Humans aren't perfect, so it's just you. Keep your head up, keep working through the process and you’re gonna come out okay."

“I was so nervous when I started VP," Callahan said. “It's silly because ... she's been a senator as well so you understand the room, and then you're at the front and you're looking at everyone and they’re looking at you and you're running the meeting.” 

The new SGA leaders and Miss Auburn will formally step into their roles later this semester.

Coleman's prediction for the new term can be best summed up in her words to her younger self: 

“You're gonna do a lot of really cool things in your life, just wait.”

Share and discuss “Coleman Turnipseed elected SGA vice president” on social media.