Meet the 2022 candidates for SGA and Miss Auburn

<p>&nbsp;This year's candidates for SGA 2022-2023 president are Josh Quattlebaum (left), Jake Haston (middle) and John David Matthews (right).&nbsp;</p>

This year's candidates for SGA 2022-2023 president are Josh Quattlebaum (left), Jake Haston (middle) and John David Matthews (right). 

Auburn Student Government Association had its spring 2022 election kick off on Tuesday, Feb. 1. That night, the SGA Great Debate was held where each candidate answered questions about their platform for the student body. 

Students will be allowed to elect a candidate on voting day Feb. 4, from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. at aub.ie/sgavote. Callouts will take place in the Upper Quad Lawn at 10 pm.

Below you can find a summary of each candidate's platform and goals for SGA President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Miss Auburn.

Candidates for President 

Jake Haston, junior in journalism, is campaigning to “advocate for the enhancement of four key areas on campus: academics, student Life, SGA, and social advancement,” according to his platform. He plans to advocate for increased loanable technology options for students as well as increase the accessibility of academic advisors for students. Haston also plans to improve student life in many ways, one being the ability for students to make Auburn Medical Clinic appointments online. Lastly Haston plans to advocate for increased social advancement on Auburn's campus by expanding Auburn's visibility at under-recruited Alabama high schools. 

John Matthews, junior in business administration, plans to “work diligently to accomplish goals in three distinct areas: health and well-being, safety and inclusion, and the individual student experience,” according to his platform. Matthews spoke about advocating for the mental health of Auburn students by creating incentives for students to join on-campus organizations as well as making mental health counseling more accessible. He also looks to promote an inclusive and safe atmosphere through increased recruiting efforts and sexual assault awareness. Finally, Matthews wishes to elevate the Auburn student experience by advocating for test prep courses and creating a student-led social media account.

Joshua Quattlebaum, junior in finance and aviation management, promises to “work tirelessly to let the individual student be heard and served,” according to his platform. He stated that he aims to be an accessible leader by creating a “student leadership resource team” and by improving the Jordan-Hare student section as well as Tiger Transit. Quattlebaum also wishes to close the divide between the student body and their SGA representatives by creating open office hours for SGA executives. Finally, he wants to improve overall student wellness through a campus-wide student wellness event and a dining-dollar donation program.

Candidates for Vice President 

Brandan Belser, junior in political science, stated that his campaign slogan "BOLD BRIGHT BELSER" aims to create a senate whose impact will "last another 100+ years." He plans to advocate for students who come from a military background by having Veterans Day recognized as a university holiday as well as creating a Military Affairs Special Committee. He also wants to advocate for graduate students by allocating funding to graduate and professional organizations.

Coleman Turnipseed, junior in political science, states “I will use my voice to advocate for the needs of the student body and to ensure that no student on campus is silenced. My platform is focused on three main planks: productivity, transparency and advocacy,” according to her platform. Turnipseed wants to work hands-on with the Auburn SGA Senate to increase its productivity and accountability. She also plans to increase the transparency of the SGA by making SGA resources known across campus for all students. Additionally, she wants to advocate for the individual Auburn student by taking direct feedback and allowing students to work alongside SGA on projects.

Candidate for Treasurer

Jake Darling, junior in finance, plans “to build on our current offering with two methods,” according to his platform. The first method is the promotion and maintenance of existing services. Darling plans to continue Auburn's relationship with the Region's Bank as well as make students more knowledgeable of existing services such as Cash Course in Canvas. He also wants to increase the accessibility of information by holding events on the concourse where financial literacy lessons are taught as well as putting resources in more accessible places.

Candidates for Miss Auburn 

Gracie Groat, junior in biomedical sciences, plans to motivate the student body to “use movement as a way of improving mental health,” according to her platform. Groat encourages students to set goals, grow through learning and gather with each other by participating in a 5K run.  

Olivia Baljet, junior in finance, states in her platform that she plans to promote mentorship for underclassmen. Baljet states in her platform, “Forming relationships with older students who can offer guidance makes getting involved less overwhelming…," according to her platform. She wants to create a space where underclassmen can form these important connections with other students.

Anne Earthman, junior in public relations, plans to focus on “emotional and handicapped accessibility on campus,” according to her platform. She wants each student to have equal access to the services that Auburn University provides. Earthman wants to focus on continuing mental health programs and improving campus accessibility for disabled students.

Kyla Mathner, junior in exercise science, wishes to spread awareness of Auburn's Student Counseling and Psychological Services as they helped her greatly in the past. To go even further she also wants to advocate for the expansion of them to give every Auburn student an equal chance to seek professional help.

Renae Washburn, junior in media studies, has a platform that is centered around sexual assault awareness. She wants to make every Auburn student feel safe and supported in times of need. Washburn also believes that education is an important component and therefore wishes to increase education on how to handle sexual assault situations.

Share and discuss “Meet the 2022 candidates for SGA and Miss Auburn ” on social media.