Auburn adds pair of in-state commitments

Landen King (40) mosses a defender in the end zone for a touchdown during the 2022 A-Day game in Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama, on April 9, 2022.

Head coach Bryan Harsin and his staff  added a couple of big commitments in the last few days for Auburn.

On July 1, Jeremiah Cobb, the top running back in the state of Alabama, announced his pledge to Auburn. Just a few days later on July 4, Auburn got the fireworks started early when Karmello English committed to WR coach Ike Hilliard.

Prior to Cobb's commitment, Auburn had gone nearly three months without a commitment. Terrance Love, a safety from Georgia, committed to Auburn in early March followed by Cobb's commitment in July.

Cobb released his list for this final three schools in June which included Auburn, Clemson and Tennessee, but the in-state prospect ultimately chose Auburn as his home.

Cobb plays for Montgomery Catholic Preparatory where he has recorded some jaw-dropping stats. In just two seasons on the varsity team, the 4-star rushed for 4,176 yards on 426 carries for 9.8 yards per carry. He also 48 rushing touchdowns including 30 his junior season.

According to the 247Sports Composite rankings, Cobb sits at No. 207 overall in the country and the No. 8 RB in his class. Cobb is listed a 5-foot-11 and weighs 186 pounds.

Auburn kept the momentum going when English committed to Auburn. After previously scheduling a commitment for July 2, an uneasy feeling crept over Auburn fans when English announced he pushed back his commitment date.

But English gave those fans a surprise when he went to Twitter to announce his commitment to Auburn. Harsin and his staff beat out Kentucky and Michigan for English's spot in the class.

English, who stands at 5-foot-11, caught 70 passes for 1,059 yards and 18 touchdowns his junior season and is the No. 141 overall recruit in the class.

The Phenix City native is the top-ranked commitment in Auburn's class and joins Cobb, Love and Bradyn Joiner, a 4-star center from Auburn, in the 2023 class which is the No. 66 in the country. Every commitment in Harsin's second full class at Auburn is rated as a four star.

Auburn hopes that the additions of Cobb and English plus the number of visitors the Tigers hosted in the summer lead to  more commitments before Auburn hosts Mercer in the first game of the season.

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Auburn adds pair of in-state commitments” on social media.