Auburn volleyball remains undefeated in nonconference play

<p>Bell Zimmerman (#12) spikes the ball in a match between Auburn and Alabama A&amp;M at Neville Arena on Sep. 6, 2022.</p>

Bell Zimmerman (#12) spikes the ball in a match between Auburn and Alabama A&M at Neville Arena on Sep. 6, 2022.

Auburn defeated Alabama A&M Tuesday night, establishing their opening record of 5-0. The Tigers started and finished with high energy, taking down the Bulldogs in three sets (25-9), (25-14), (25-13). 

Totaling 42 kills, compared to their opponents 14, the Tigers set the tone for the match. The Auburn freshmen led the team with kills, with Bel Zimmerman finishing with a team-high 11 kills. 

The Tiger’s youngest teammates led the way, making up five of the seven starters. They showed intensity on offense and defense. Kendal Kemp shut down the Bulldogs with four blocks and seven kills. 

"It's great to get another win at home, obviously," said head coach Brent Crouch. "A few people that hadn't played before, at all, got some time. This is just another step forward in our development."

After the first set, the Bulldogs seemed to get comfortable with the Auburn Arena. This was the first time these two teams have competed against each other in over a decade, the last time being in 2011 where the Tigers swept the Bulldogs. 

During the second set, the Bulldogs took the first point with a kill by Madison Reagins. They held tighter to the Tigers, with only three errors, but the Bulldogs were unable to match Auburn’s intensity in the third match.

"We get really hyped. We're all there for each other," Zimmerman said. "We get really hyped in the beginning and then it carries on, whether that's getting a block or a kill."

Jordan Sinness showed up to Neville Arena, leading the team in aces (three) and assists (29), while finishing with eight digs. The setter from Sebring, Fla. is proving herself as a force to be reckoned with.

On the defensive side, Sarah Morton ended the night with 14 digs. 

Alabama A&M’s Keyara Brooks led the Bulldogs with 11 assists and eight digs. Madison Reagans totaled four kills, six digs, one block, and one assist. The team fell short on the serving line, not scoring any aces. 

The Tigers travel to play in the UAB Tournament this weekend, Sept. 9-11, against UAB, North Florida, and Troy. That and a trip to Jacksonville State University for the JSU Invitational are the only matches standing between Auburn and its SEC schedule. 

Share and discuss “Auburn volleyball remains undefeated in nonconference play” on social media.