Bigsby surpasses career mark, running game flies under radar versus Mercer

Tank Bigsby (4) warms up prior to the 2021 Auburn Football A-Day scrimmage, on Saturday, April 17, 2021, in Auburn, Ala.

While much of the attention was on the quarterbacks, Auburn leaned on its reliable rushing attack Saturday night behind a strong o-line to open the 2022 campaign with a victory.

As Auburn tries to identify who should be the starting QB, implement an offensive line with a couple new faces and ease an inexperienced wide receiver core into the season, running backs Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter shouldered the load for the offense.

Bigsby ran for 147 yards on 9.2 yards per carry and two touchdowns -- including a 39-yard touchdown on the first play after a lightning delay paused the game at the end of the third quarter.

The junior running back surpassed 2,000 career yards Saturday night, which moved him to No. 18 all time in Auburn career rushing yards.

His 147-yard performance marked the ninth time in his career that he eclipsed 100 yards while at Auburn.

Hunter had a big night as well with 34 rushing yards and three touchdowns, matching his touchdown total from all of last season. Hunter’s three touchdowns marked his first multiple-score game while at Auburn and the first time an Auburn RB recorded three rushing touchdowns in a game since JaTarvious Whitlow against Mississippi State in 2019.

For Hunter, he wants the combination of him and Bigsby to be remembered by Auburn fans for a long time.

“We compete in practice, but we actually make each other better because we want to be great,” Hunter said. “Both of us want to be great, so we work hard every day at practice to be great and we make each other better. I think me and Tank will be remembered as the one-two punch at Auburn.”

The Mississippi native had a procedure done to "clean up" knee in the spring. Feeling healthy now, he was grateful to be back on the field. The sophomore was rewarded by reaching the end zone three times, his first score being the first of the season for Auburn.

“It feels good again getting back to playing because, you know, I had surgery in spring,” Hunter said. “I was so happy to get back to playing in the real game. It made me feel better just to get back on the field.”

Senior left tackle Kilian Zierer, a leader of that starting o-line trying to find some rhythm, praised the duo postgame.

“They’re pretty good, right? It’s pretty fun to block for them because they’re both very explosive,” Zierer said. “Sometimes they make plays out of nothing, which they did today.”

Zierer, as well as first-time starters on the o-line Tate Johnson and Kameron Stutts, paved the way for 190 yards between the three backs who saw the field and, in addition, gave Robby Ashford room to settle in and run for 68 yards on QB keepers. His first three plays were runs for eight, 49 an 10 yards, allowing the redshirt freshman to get comfortable in his first time on the field as a collegiate player.

The third back who carried the ball was true freshman Damari Alston. No. 22 was also involved in the game plan on offense as well as special teams, recording five touches for 22 yards, and returning the Tigers' final kickoff of the game.  

Head coach Bryan Harsin was impressed with the RB group and reiterated that Auburn wants to build a strong run game throughout the season.

“Jarquez (Hunter) had a big night. Tank (Bigsby) had a great start after the lightning delay. Damari Alston, he's getting in there and he's got to keep getting in there. We want to run the football,” Harsin said.

Auburn now knows it can keep running the football next Saturday against San Jose State. The game kicks off at 6:30 p.m. CST and will be broadcast on ESPNU.

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Bigsby surpasses career mark, running game flies under radar versus Mercer ” on social media.