Players to watch, keys to victory: Alabama

AU vs WKU Football Nov.19th
AU vs WKU Football Nov.19th

Coach Carnell "Cadillac" Williams has Auburn coming into rivalry week on a two game winning streak, both being victories at home. This Saturday, the Tigers will be heading to Tuscaloosa to take on No. 7 Alabama in the 87th Iron Bowl.

This isn’t the usual Iron Bowl of years past with national championship stakes on the line, but that doesn’t mean there is nothing on the line this year. The Tigers will be playing for bowl eligibility and of course, bragging rights. 

Auburn had a strong rushing game last week against Western Kentucky because of the duo of Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter. The Tigers put up 41 points and 374 yards of offense on the Hilltoppers, with 252 of those yards coming from the ground game. Bigsby and Hunter both averaged over six yards per carry and had over 100 yards rushing. Hunter also had the only passing touchdown for the Tigers, a mirrored version of a toss thrown by Williams in 2004.

The Tigers’ defense have stepped up with three interceptions over the last three weeks, before then only having two on the year. Auburn also seems to have turned around a struggling rush defense by only allowing an average of 64 yards per game under Williams. There has been a defensive intensity with Williams at the helm, and Auburn’s defense will play a big part in the Iron Bowl this Saturday. 

Williams has brought some much needed energy to the program, but can he lead the Tigers to a win on the road in Tuscaloosa? Road games have not been pleasant to the Tigers this season. Auburn hasn’t won an away game since October of 2021, the last one coming against Arkansas. The only wins Williams has under his belt have been at home. 

Can he bring that energy on the road this week?

Alabama head coach Nick Saban has only one loss at Bryant-Denny against Auburn, that loss being in 2010, a game that saw Cam Newton make a heroic effort to pull the Tigers back into contention. The Tide are looking to continue this dominance. Saban-led Alabama teams have averaged 41.6 points a game and allow an average of just 16.8 points at home against Auburn. If Auburn can win this game, the word upset is a massive understatement.

Players to Watch

Auburn

Offensive line

For the Tigers to have a chance this weekend, the offensive line will need to play their best against a stout Alabama defense. It’s important for them to keep the pocket clean for Ashford to find players down field. They will also be crucial for the establishment of the run game. In last year’s Iron Bowl, the Tide’s front feasted with six sacks and 15 tackles for losses. Williams will need to rally the line and have them motivated for this game.

Ja’Varrius Johnson (WR)

Johnson has been Auburn’s best wide receiver this year, leading the team in receiving, second in receptions and tied for touchdowns. He has been a good threat downfield for the Tigers, helping stretch the field for their offense. Auburn needs to hit Johnson early to get the Alabama linebackers off the line and open the run game for Bigsby and Hunter.

Tank Bigsby (RB)

The junior back’s workload has increased under Williams. Bigsby put up 110 yards rushing on 18 carries for two touchdowns last week. Since Williams took over as head coach, Bigsby has averaged 106.7 yards on an average of 18 carries. That comes as no surprise from a coach that was a former running back. Bigsby needs to carry this momentum into Bryant-Denny.

Alabama

Bryce Young (QB)

This will probably be the last Iron Bowl Young will play in, with him most likely headed to the NFL after another strong season performance from the junior. Last year, he threw for 317 passing yards for two touchdowns with one interception. Young led the Tide to a fourth quarter comeback and won the game in overtime against the Tigers. He has been stellar at home, never losing in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Jahmyr Gibbs (RB)

The offensive threat for the Tide has been Georgia Tech transfer Jahmyr Gibbs. He has 1,144 yards from scrimmage with nine total touchdowns on the year. He could have a big game against an Auburn defense that has had a lot of ups and downs this season. Look for him to be a  major threat in the receiving game this weekend.

Will Anderson Jr. (DE)

Also looking like defensive standout for the Tide is Anderson, who will be heading to the draft this year. He hasn’t had as dominant of a year as he did last year, but that doesn't mean he isn’t a force on the line. Last year, he had one sack and three tackles for losses against the Tigers. This weekend he could be living in the Auburn backfield facing a lackluster offensive line. 

Keys to Victory

Auburn

What’s been effective for the Tigers on this two game winning streak has been simply just running the ball. They’ve limited their passing game and have run the ball 40+ times a game. The Tigers' offense has looked better when rushing the ball, playing into their strength. 

Alabama’s defensive front will be a tough bunch to hammer the run game on. That’s where the Tigers will need to look to the air to help increase rushing opportunities for Bigsby and Hunter. Auburn’s offensive line needs to keep the pocket clean and open up holes in the defense for the Tigers to be in this ball game.

On the defensive side, Auburn needs to prevent Young from getting comfortable or escaping the pocket to create big plays. 'Bend not break' defense will be needed against the Tide. Another thing the Tigers should look to stop is the home momentum. 

Auburn should capitalize on Alabama’s weaknesses, such as their secondary. Set the tone early and bring that 'Go Crazy, Cadillac' energy. Overall, the Tigers are underdogs in this matchup and perfection is what is needed to take down Alabama at home.

Alabama

Alabama has owned Auburn at home under Saban, but the players shouldn’t let that go to their heads. This Auburn team has an aura around them that is just different. The Tide just needs to stay focused.

The Tide’s offense needs to control the clock and keep the Tigers’ defense on the field. Let Bryce Young do his thing. Make smart play decisions in crucial moments, which they struggled with this season. 

Alabama’s defense can easily shut down Auburn’s passing game. Just focus on the Tigers’ backfield and don’t allow Hunter to get outside to the edge. Eliminate all momentum and energy by getting three-and-outs. 

Finally, the home field advantage is huge for the Tide. Bryant-Denny will be a factor in this game. Saban will have this team ready come Saturday. 

The 87th Iron Bowl is at 2:30 p.m. CST at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa. It will be broadcast on CBS. 

Jac Myrick | Podcast Editor

Jac Myrick is a journalism major from Talladega, Alabama. This is his second year at the Plainsman after joining in the fall of 2022. 

Share and discuss “Players to watch, keys to victory: Alabama” on social media.