Right tackle out for season after knee surgery

Oct 3, 2020; Tuscaloosa AL, USA; Austin Troxell (68) blocking the Alabama defense during the game between Auburn and Alabama at Bryant Denny Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Interim head coach Carnell "Cadillac" Williams announced that Auburn right tackle Austin Troxell will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing knee surgery on Monday. The senior from Huntsville suffered an injury against Mississippi State on Saturday.

Troxell, in his sixth season with the program, started a majority of Auburn's game the last two seasons at right tackle — including starts in every game this season except for Ole Miss. In 2020, Troxell made his first start in the Iron Bowl after starter Brodarious Hamm was injured, also starting two more games against Texas A&M and Northwestern.

Prior to the knee injury sustained against Mississippi State, Troxell already had a history with knee injuries. The Huntsville, Ala. native missed the 2019 season after suffering a torn ACL in Auburn's A-Day game. In high school, Troxell also tore his ACL his junior and senior year.

Troxell spent the 2017 season rehabbing his torn ACL and finally saw action in 2018 — appearing in 12 games as a backup tackle.

Brenden Coffey entered the game at right tackle for Auburn after the Troxell injury and was listed as the starter on Auburn's updated depth chart on Monday.

Williams, who also suffered numerous injuries while playing running back for the Tigers form 2001-2004, commended Troxell for his time at Auburn.

"I feel a lot for that young man, because he gave a lot for this program," Williams said. "He's an Auburn man through and through."

Auburn guard Kameron Stutts said he and his teammates were "fighting back tears" when Troxell came off the field injured Saturday and later praised Troxell's heart on Monday.

"I don't think there's anybody in this facility that has put more into this program than Trox has," Stutts said. "He's been here a long time. It hurts, but we're gonna keep playing for him."

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Right tackle out for season after knee surgery” on social media.