SGA approves bill that will light up Campus Green

<p>SGA Senate meets on Sept. 14, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

SGA Senate meets on Sept. 14, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

The SGA approved a new $50,000 lighting project for the Campus Green along with resolutions to release grades the week before final exams and create new waterlines to implement more food trucks throughout campus.

Nick Seward, College of Business Senator, proposed the bill. The Campus Green is located near the Melton Student Center and the Tiger Transit bus stops. The funds allocated to the Campus Green lighting project will go towards upgrading the current system and allow for more student activities to exist after sundown. 

“These funds will support the Office of Student Affairs' efforts in implementing new electrical upgrades and lighting efforts on the green space,” Seward said. 

Along with the Campus Green lighting bill, two resolutions were passed. Resolutions differ from bills as they are more akin to strong suggestions that SGA is making to the university rather than concrete bills. 

The first of those resolutions involves timely grade implementation for early-alert status. This resolution was proposed by Madeline Dodd, College of Education Senator, and asks for academic policy to require all grades to be posted in Canvas at least one week prior to the final exam for every course. The current status for midterm grades only applies to core curriculum classes, but this resolution would look to expand that to all courses at Auburn University. 

“I would like to meet with whoever in the Provost Office is best accountable for this,” Dodd said. “I would like to meet with them and see their thoughts on it, what they think about it and try and put this into action as much as possible” 

The second resolution passed involves the request for waterline construction between the Lowder Hall parking lot and Wiggins Hall. The resolution was proposed by Lucy Brown, College of Business Senator, and Ebb Counts, College of Engineering Senator. 

The construction of a waterline at that location would allow for a food truck to be placed there and provide hot meals in closer proximity to the business and engineering colleges. If the university were to adopt this resolution, it could open the door for more trucks to be placed near colleges on the outskirts of campus. 

“For the past two years, this is the most frequent feedback that we've gotten,” Brown said. “Starbucks and Tiger Bread Company are more grab-and-go’s, and so this will give the opportunity to bring a food truck closer to engineering and business with actual meals.”

Ethan Stamper | Campus Reporter

Ethan Stamper, journalism major, is the campus reporter for The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “SGA approves bill that will light up Campus Green” on social media.