Update on Saturday's officer-involved shooting in Opelika

<p>Police tape surrounds a crime scene.</p>

Police tape surrounds a crime scene.

On Dec. 17, two officers with the Opelika Police Department responded to an alleged domestic dispute around 10:30 p.m. after a female caller requested assistance.

According to an OPD press release, there was an open line of communication with dispatchers during the call, and there appeared to be a disturbance before the call was disconnected. 

Upon arrival at the home located in the 100 Block of 19th Place minutes after the call was initially made, officers were able to make contact with the female caller who invited them inside the residence. 

Once the officers entered, a domestic dispute appeared to be ongoing between the female caller and her boyfriend, later identified as Alan Perez, 51.

Upon contact, Perez, who was allegedly armed with a large kitchen knife, ignored verbal commands from officers to drop the knife and continued advancing towards the female and officers.

According to the press release, one officer discharged his weapon, striking Perez. 

After the officer discharged his weapon, medical assistance was immediately requested, and officers safely removed the female survivor and her adult son from the residence. 

Additional responding officers subsequently rendered lifesaving measures on Perez while waiting for emergency medical services to arrive. 

Perez later succumbed to his wounds after being transported to East Alabama Medical Center.

The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency’s Bureau of Investigations (SBI) was called in to investigate, and all evidence and videos have been turned over for their investigation according to the OPD.

Once the SBI has completed its investigation, the results will be turned over to the Lee County District Attorney’s Office, which will present the findings to a Lee County Grand Jury. 

Daniel Schmidt | Assistant News Editor

Daniel Schmidt, senior in journalism, is the assistant news editor for the Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Update on Saturday's officer-involved shooting in Opelika” on social media.