EDITORIAL | On "anti-white" slurs and Black History Month

<p>The Auburn University sign sits in front of the University's historic Samford Hall.</p>

The Auburn University sign sits in front of the University's historic Samford Hall.

On Feb. 2, Turning Point USA published an article about a GroupMe chat that contained a Google document of over 200 “anti-white slurs.” 

That article, alongside an article by 1819 News and AL.com, inaccurately alleges that the document originated from a GroupMe that was started by Auburn University’s Black Student Union. However, according to multiple students in the group chat and in a statement sent to AL.com from the University on Feb. 8, the chat, titled AU Connect, contains students from multiple universities, and Black students at Auburn who are not in BSU. 

The TPUSA article claims that  a “whistleblower” from BSU shared its contents due to concerns that the group was engaging in racist behavior and harassment. Twitter erupted last Thursday after 1819 News published its take on the incident. The tweet’s engagement skyrocketed—with over ten million views and 3,000 quote tweets. 

It seems that, for the most part, everyone is in agreement that a Google document of “anti-white racial slurs” is in no way, shape or form the same as the historic systematic and structural racism that has produced the type of racial slurs Black people have had to endure for centuries.

There is a select population that doesn’t feel the same, though. Their argument is that if the roles were reversed, the white students involved would be expelled from the University.

However, if the roles were truly reversed, so much more would be true. 

Instead of spoon-feeding our readers all of the ways that this incident is not at all comparable to if the opposite were true, The Plainsman encourages our readers to remember the importance of Black History Month and engage in events that recognize it. 

Events for the remainder of Black History Month include:

- Saturday, Feb. 18 - Cultural Excursion to Alvin Ailey

Fox Theatre–Atlanta

RSVP at aub.ie/AlvinAiley23.

- Tuesday, Feb. 21 - International Culture and Cuisine Classes–Black Heritage Month

5:30-8 p.m.

Rane Culinary Science Center, Room 312

Hosted by the International Culture Center

Register at aub.ie/cuisine.

- Wednesday, Feb. 22 - Jazz and Poetry

5-9 p.m.

Melton Student Center Ballroom

Hosted by the Black Student Union

- Thursday, Feb. 23 - Thoughtful Thursday – Implicit Bias/Microaggressions

5-6 p.m.

Mell Classroom Building, Room 2510

- Tuesday, Feb. 28 - Women of Color Networking Social

1:30-4 p.m.

Melton Student Center Ballroom

RSVP at aub.ie/wocsocial.

Remember the importance of Black History Month by making space and time throughout the rest of February to attend the events put on by various groups, organizations and clubs, and let this Black History Month drive you to recognize and appreciate Black figures beyond the month of February.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Plainsman's editorial board and do not necessarily represent that of the entire newsroom. 

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL | On "anti-white" slurs and Black History Month” on social media.