The resolution edit: What Auburn students are aiming to accomplish in 2023

Whether it's getting more physical activity incorporated into a daily routine or putting more effort into schoolwork, Auburn students are busy planning improvements they want to see for 2023. Instead of stereotypical resolutions, many intend to make goals that they can carry into the year ahead.

Alissa Johnson, sophomore in interior design, prefers to set motivations instead of goals. Maintaining healthy eating habits, practicing her faith on a daily basis, and prioritizing friendships are all important to Johnson heading into the new year.

“I was half inspired by one of my friends who ended up setting goals instead of resolutions because resolutions tend to be an ending point, and then you’re done with that versus goals or motivations which are a more continual thing you can bring into each year,” Johnson said. 

By creating her goals with her friends, Johnson said she is more likely to work towards them.

“It makes us more well rounded and it allows us to have the accountability you need to obtain the goals," Johnson said. 

Emma Brimigion, sophomore in public relations, and Raechel Babb, sophomore in rehab and disabilities studies, share the common goal to live a healthy lifestyle and strengthen their academic performance. As roommates, they embrace Johnson’s idea of having friends keep each other on track to achieve their goals.

“Some goals for this year are to be healthier and work out more, and focus on school and keep my grades up,” Brimigion said.

As a daily reminder, Brimigion uses an app on her phone that provides motivational quotes as a reminder to stay healthy. 

“I feel this year is a little bit easier as a sophomore because freshman year I was overwhelmed with everything. So this year, it’s a little bit calmer and I’m able to focus on things that are important to me,” said Brimigion. 

Babb is also using the new year to explore methods of personal growth. An example she provided was setting a goal of reading one book every week.

When it comes to physical health, Babb has found workout classes to be beneficial and keep her on track. Her personal favorite workout class is at Orange Theory. 

Johnson touches on the fact that sometimes caving into old habits and breaking goals is inevitable.

“Sometimes I fall into these old habits when I am under a time crunch and it’s really hard to be self-aware of these old habits so I can stop them,” Johnson said. 

Babb’s outlook on healthy eating is to be flexible and intuitive.

“If I don’t workout one day, I’ll eat vegetables and protein, and maybe not get Chick-Fil-A,” said Babb. 

Being self-aware and setting achievable goals with handiwork is what Johnson says is crucial when creating goals she wants to achieve for the new year. 

“Make honest goals because it’s very easy to be like, ‘I’m gonna run a 5k even though I have never run before’, and for some people they can do that," Johnson said, "But for other people, that’s not an obtainable goal even though they wish it was."

The options are endless when choosing a goal for the new year. As Babb, Brimigion, and Johnson have mentioned, setting flexible and honest goals with a plan is the best way to achieve goals for the new year.

Piper Bosart | Assistant Culture Editor

Piper Bosart, junior in journalism, is the assistant culture editor for The Auburn Plainsman. She has been with The Plainsman since January, 2022.

Share and discuss “The resolution edit: What Auburn students are aiming to accomplish in 2023” on social media.