Auburn defeats Georgia Tech in comeback fashion after 12 innings

<p>Caden Green (#1) catches a ball to tag a runner out at second base against SEL on March 11th 2023</p>

Caden Green (#1) catches a ball to tag a runner out at second base against SEL on March 11th 2023

After suffering two losses against Southeastern Louisiana, Auburn claimed a comeback win against Georgia Tech. This game renewed a 125-year-long rivalry. Auburn secured the 12-11 win over Georgia Tech late in the 12th inning. 

“Georgia Tech is just prolific offensively; great bodies, great swings, quick bats on every fastball to start. They were even better than advertised, and then for us to be down so much, it was awesome,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “It was just two totally different deals. It was a crazy ballgame, but our guys hung in there. And we all know that we’ve got to do better in some areas. We talked about that and been honest about that.”

The Tigers had difficulty getting on the scoreboard but eventually found some momentum in the third and sixth inning, scoring four runs in the third and five in the sixth. 

Auburn was able to hold Georgia Tech from scoring in the fifth, but the Yellow Jackets returned the favor by keeping the Tigers off the board. 

“I think that it kind of just gets to a point, especially once we’ve already come back. We’re like, 'cool, this is doable,' and I think once you get into the 11th inning or the four-hour mark, whichever comes first,” said Auburn's Justin Kirby. “You’re kind of just like, ‘well, we’re here, so we might as well win.’”

The Tigers tied the game late in the sixth, and the game remained tied until the 12th inning. Kirby secured the win for Auburn thanks to a big play by senior Brody Wortham. Wortham singled to right field, sending Kirby home to claim the win for the Tigers. 

“I think (Butch’s) got all the trust in everyone on the team for sure. I think no matter who he calls on, he wouldn’t call them if he truly didn’t believe that they could get a job done,” Wortham said. “I was just so ready for the opportunity as soon as he said I was ready to hit. I was ready to go.”

Kirby led the Tigers’ offense with three runs, four hits and one home run with three RBIs. Kirby hit his seventh home run of the season late in the fifth inning. Josh Hall had a big night in the batter’s box with one walk, two hits, and two RBIs. Freshman Gavin Miller followed the veterans’ lead with two runs, two hits, and two RBIs.

Auburn had eight pitchers appear on the mound, collecting 12 strikeouts, one walk and allowing 11 runs on 22 hits. 

Sixth-year Tommy Vail started on the mound for the first inning. Vail recorded a strikeout, no walks and an earned run.

Senior Konner Copeland had one strikeout, one walk, and five earned runs in 1.1 innings. Sophomore Chase Allsup had no strikeouts, no walks, and three earned runs in 0.2 innings.

Sophomore John Armstrong racked up two strikeouts, no walks and one earned run in one inning.

Freshman Trevor Horne slowed the Yellow Jackets down with one strikeout, no walks and one run in the fifth inning.

Sophomore Will Cannon stepped on the mound ending the night with three strikeouts, no walks and no earned runs in 2.1 innings.

In the ninth inning, junior Tanner Bauman replaced Cannon. Bauman recorded two strikeouts, no walks, and no earned runs in two innings.

Senior Chase Isbell took over for Bauman and finished on the mound for the Tigers, earning the win. 

Cannon made a big play for the Tigers, securing their narrow win over the Yellow Jackets. The Northwest Florida State transfer prevented Georgia Tech’s runner from sliding into home with a throw from catcher Carter Wright. After Cannon’s innings, Bauman and Isbell shut down Tech’s run game with four strikeouts, no walks and no earned runs from the pair. 

“This team, it’s unbelievable. Just the chemistry we have, you know, all the comebacks we have, and we just never give up. It’s seven, nothing (7-0). It’s eight, nothing (8-0). That dugout is the same as it was when it was 0-0,” Cannon said. “It’s just crazy. Everybody just believes in each other.”

Headed on the road, the Tigers begin SEC play this weekend with a series against No. 3 Arkansas. The series opener starts at 6:30 p.m. CST on the SEC Network+. 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn defeats Georgia Tech in comeback fashion after 12 innings” on social media.