Ways to avoid the mid-semester slump

The “mid-semester slump” is something many college students are familiar with, the dull time in the middle of the semester where classes are boring and days are long. With midterms and exams keeping students busy studying, it can be easy to get burned out. Here are a few ways to keep students going during those long, boring weeks.

One way to avoid the mid semester slump is to change up working and studying locations. Finding a place away from home and the library can help refocus the mind. Coffee shops and bookstores are common places for students to study. 

For Auburn students, Well Red is a local coffee shop and bookstore that could be a great place to work. 

“We have a mixture of comfortable seating and tables that can be used for studying. Our community table can be reserved for large groups to study or work on a project together,” said Richard Tomasello, owner of Well Red. 

Another great way to stay on track is to take a break and go outdoors. Focusing too much on work can lead to even more frustration and boredom. Taking a walk around campus or even going for a hike at a local park could allow the body to feel refreshed with some fresh air. Chewacala State Park, located in Opelika, Alabama, is a place to enjoy the outdoors.

If there's no time for a hike, simply stepping outside could be helpful. 

"When I need to take a break I’ll usually take a quick walk or sit on my porch. Getting some fresh air and unwinding for 5-10 minutes helps me a lot,” said John Crane, junior in aviation management. 

Having a spa day or getting a massage is another way to relax and refresh. From facials to full body massages, a little rest and relaxation could be the key to a fresh mind. 

Studying and doing homework can cause stress and tension, so getting a massage can help to relieve that.

“I felt great and relaxed the day after the massage,” said Megan Brewer, senior in marketing. 

Book a massage or a spa day to feel as good as new. 

If students are in an academic slump and are struggling with grades, a tutor could be a great help. Auburn University offers many options such as departmental tutoring for the science and math classes, the Miller Writing Center for English and Literature papers, and study partners, a peer tutor for students in all departments.

Finding a tutor or attending a study session could help to ease the stress of being behind in a class, or calming the nerves before a big test. 

Finding a way to relax and not think about school for a while could be a way to avoid the mid-semester slump. Next time students feel overwhelmed, something like taking a walk, or changing study location can help get them back on track.

Share and discuss “Ways to avoid the mid-semester slump” on social media.