Alston maturing and growing his skillset during spring ball

Auburn runningback Damari Alston (22) bursts through the seams for a 35-yard gain in the second quarter against San Jose State University in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Sep. 10, 2022.

Auburn football has undergone a massive change over the last several months, and many players believe the program has changed for the better. 

“I feel like it was kind of a blessing in disguise. You know, things happen, and it is what it is, but I feel like when coach (Hugh) Freeze came, a lot of coaches changed,” said running back Damari Alston. “I feel a change in the relationship that I have with coach Freeze than I had with the previous staff, and I feel like I can talk to coach Freeze anytime that I want to. That’s always been the way with Cadillac (Williams), and I’m happy that Cadillac is still here.” 

Although Williams was named interim head coach briefly, the running back coach’s approach to teaching his guys has not changed. 

“Cadillac is just gonna be Cadillac. You know, ever since I came in, he’s always coached us the same. He’s always been a real stand-up guy," Alston said. "He always kept it real on and off the field, and I feel nothing is going to change. He’s going to remain the same." 

Freeze plans to utilize all his running backs by rotating them throughout the game, and Alston, who was in a limited role last season, is excited about the chance to get more touches.

“I love that. Loved that. I want to be more involved in the offense this year and play a crucial role,” Alston said.

Former Auburn running back Tank Bigsby had a lasting impact on Auburn football and his fellow running backs. Although Bigsby is off to the NFL, his impact played a big role on Alston.

“I learned a lot from Tank. I was really close with Tank before I came in, so he always told me little pieces of advice,” Alston said. “You know, he was always texting me and facetiming me, telling me to ‘stay focused' and ‘stay ready.’”

With Bigsby headed to the NFL, Jarquez Hunter has taken the leadership role in the running back room.

“I feel like Jarquez is just always the guy that leads by example. The things that he does, you know, you want to follow him because he’s doing things right, and he’s doing it his way,” Alston said. 

During the offseason, Alston has spent a lot of time in the weight room, getting stronger and faster. 

“My thing was just getting bigger, stronger and faster. That was my whole thing this offseason, and I’ve been working my tail off to just improve in those areas because I’m playing some big boy ball in the SEC,” Alston said.

The sophomore running back caught new offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery's eye already.

“He’s got really good vision. I think he’s learning to be more patient within his running style. And then when he hits it, he’s got a really good gear,” Montgomery said. “I’ve thought from the start of spring camp, he’s the guy that’s probably surprised me a little bit more out of the running back room than anybody.”

The running back room welcomed USF transfer Brian Battie with open arms to its roster. Battie brings experience and speed to the field as the 5-foot-8 running back ran for 1,186 yards and eight touchdowns last season.

“We brought (Brian Battie) with open arms, and you know, ever since then, we’ve all just been going out and just competing, helping each other out on the field and off the field,” Alston said. “He definitely adds some speed and quickness. He’s a really quick guy. He can obviously take kicks back as well.” 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Alston maturing and growing his skillset during spring ball” on social media.