Auburn University set to hold 12th annual CADS-AMDA Fashion Event

Precious Benkoye, Luke Arborn and Brooke Beaudet are shown promoting the 12th Hour Fashion Show put on by CADS-AMDA.

Friday, April 14, Auburn University's CADS-AMDA Fashion Event will be held in the Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum. 

Students put in an application to get accepted in the spring in order to participate in a year-long course to prepare for the show. Once the students are chosen they are placed into a committee in the fall semester worth one credit hour, and spring counts as two credit hours. 

Karla Teel teaches this year-long course and is the event's advisor. She said many different students help put on this event and make it run smoothly. Around 900 people came to the last CADS-AMDA Fashion Event. 

“The whole entire show is student designed, student led and student styled. We have a live runway show and then we have visual merchandising vignette. We have e-portfolios from each of our areas in our departments, interior design projects to see," Teel said. "And then this year, we are having a special award section because we have had several faculty and students who have had their designs either accepted or win a award at different design competitions.” 

Kinsey Pastore, part of the social media team for this show, explained in more detail what this event is for those who are not aware. 

“This event is Auburn University's premiere fashion show experience that showcases the talent of the College of Human Sciences, CADS department students and takes place at the Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum," Pastore said. "The entire event is student run, from the fashion show itself, to the student displays, like the visual merchandising vignettes. All of the garments debuted at the show were designed, created, and constructed by Auburn apparel students.” 

Every year, the CADS-AMDA Fashion Show has a theme that the fashion planning class comes up with. This year's theme for the event is the 12th Hour. This is the 12th year this production is happening at Auburn University. 

“The twelfth hour is where tranquility and turmoil exist in equilibrium. The number 12 represents a balance between opposites with time passing continually," Pastore said. "As we approach our 12th year of The Fashion Event, we celebrate finding harmony in opposing ideas and tendencies through elements of design.” 

Savannah Londre, sophomore in apparel merchandising, works on the styling committee for this event. This will be her second year going to the show. Londre is most excited for being able to go back to the fashion show again, and getting to see everyones finished work. 

“I have built a lot of relationships with the girls in the class who are the design students, so seeing them from the very beginning stages of it, as well as being able to see their completed garments in the show I am super excited for," Londre said. "I have seen them on the days where they are super exhausted and run down from working so hard and then being able to see them actually showcase with the models...” 

This event is an opportunity for students to see other students' work on campus, and showcase something they have worked long hours on. The show a way to see what someone in a different major does. 

“I think why kids love it so much is the pieces people are seeing aren’t pieces from designer brands that are in New York, they are from students in Auburn, Alabama,” Londre said.

If non-fashion majors are curious about finding a way to participate, modeling for the CADS-AMDA Fashion Event is open to all students for tryouts. There are over 120 models in this year's fashion show. Many designers even create their clothing so that a sibling can be their model in the presentation. 

“This is an incredible opportunity for AU students to take a step out of their comfort zone and try something new! There is no better feeling than seeing the joy of someone walk their first runway," Pastore said. "The planning staff consists of AMDA volunteers, the fashion event planning class and the models.” 

One of Professor Teel’s favorite things about the CADS-AMDA Fashion Event, and teaching this year long course is, “Seeing the students realize what their capabilities are and leadership. Combining everything in such a way that it communicates to our audience what we really do. Most people don't even know we have a fashion program at Auburn.”

Share and discuss “Auburn University set to hold 12th annual CADS-AMDA Fashion Event ” on social media.