Dylan Brooks to enter transfer portal

An Auburn football rests on a table at the final day of SEC Media Days in Atlanta, Georgia, on July 21, 2022

On a day where many of Auburn's finest players are making their journey to the NFL, one player will be departing from the Plains.

Dylan Brooks announced his decision to enter the transfer portal, marking a blow to the defensive line depth. He was expected to see a bigger role in 2023 with Derick Hall heading to the Seattle Seahawks. Instead, Auburn will look for not only Hall's replacement, but a replacement for Brooks too.

Coming out of Handley High School in Roanoke Alabama, Brooks was a highly-recruited talent. He was ranked 77th in the nation in the class of 2021 according to the 247Sports composite rankings. He was committed to Tennessee originally, however he decided to back off his pledge from the Volunteers and sign his letter of intent to Auburn.

He redshirted his freshman season, after not seeing any playing time in 2021. In 2022, Brooks saw some more action. However, he was the backup to Hall. Even as a backup, Brooks played in nine games. His first tackle came against Mercer and had a fumble recovery at Mississippi State. He recorded his first career sack against Western Kentucky.

Standing at 6-foot-4, 245 pounds, Brooks could have many programs wanting him to join their team. 

Auburn meanwhile will look to replace him. With the transfer portal window reopening, the Tigers are already hosting players at the same position as Brooks. There is plenty of talent for new head coach Hugh Freeze to choose from. 

TP Hammock | Sports Writer

TP is a senior from Montgomery, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Twitter: @tp_hammock

Share and discuss “Dylan Brooks to enter transfer portal” on social media.