Plainsman's Choice 2023 Best Coffee Shop: Well Red

Well Red wins Best Coffee Shop for The Plainsman's Choice 2021, March 21st, 2021 in Auburn, AL.

Winning Plainsman's Choice for the second year in a row, Well Red is a coffee shop considered to be an Auburn favorite. 

Immediately upon arrival, there are various seating options to choose from inside the shop. Customers can also enjoy a nice view outside by sitting on the front porch or their renovated back porch addition, which was completed in February.

Along with the seating, there is a diverse array of foods and drinks to choose from. Their menu includes drink options such as espressos, macchiatos and cappuccinos. Prices range from anywhere between $2 and $5. Flavors include vanilla, mocha, caramel, lavender, cinnamon, brown sugar, white mocha and pumpkin for $.50 each according to Well Red's website. 

Food options are also diversified, as options like the bacon cheddar biscuit, cinnamon rolls and muffins are available. Well Red has something for everyone, as they have choices for those who are vegan or gluten-free. Pastry and dessert options range from anywhere between $1 and $10.

The name Well Red is a fitting name as along with the food and refreshments, customers can enjoy a nice array of books. Books line the shelves on the inside of the establishment and are categorized, making it easy for customers to choose what they are looking for.

Customers can also purchase books from Well Red online from bookshop.org. According to bookshop.org, there are titled sections which include: New and Noteworthy, Staff Picks, Books on Wine, Race and Gender Studies, Books by AAPI Authors and May #staywellred2022: Film/Tv Adaptations. 

One thing that makes Well Red so lovable, is that every book purchased from them raises money for local bookstores. The website in which they partner, bookshop.org, has its values on its link that show the amount of money raised since 2020, which is over $25 million.

"We believe local bookstores are essential community hubs that foster culture, curiosity, and a love of reading, and we're committed to helping them thrive", bookshop.org said. "Every purchase on the site financially supports independent bookstores. Our platform gives independent bookstores tools to compete online and financial support to help them maintain their presence in local communities."

When asked about why she loves Well Red, Raechel Babb sophomore in rehabilitation and disabilities studies, couldn't contain her excitement.

"I like Well Red because the food and coffee is always fresh and yummy and the staff is really educated in the books they have and it is a great place to study because you can study indoors or outdoors," Babb said.

Well Red's hours are Monday-Thursday from 7 a.m.- 9 p.m., Friday from 7 a.m.- 10 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m.- 10 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m.- 2 p.m.. 

As stated in their website bio, Well Red is an "independent bookstore in Auburn, Alabama obsessed with keeping customers well fed and well re(a)d. They are located at 223 Opelika Rd. 

There is a calendar on their website which allows customers to check out the events they have. Some current events, as of April 2023, include Queer Voices Book Club, held on Friday, April 14, at 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., and again on Wednesday, April 26, from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., Racism & Social Change Book Club, held on Tuesday, April 11, at 6 p.m., and Independent Bookstore Day, held on Saturday, April 29.

So the next time students are in the mood to sit down with a good book, enjoy some good conversation or grab a bite to eat or a refreshment, Well Red is a great option that can appeal to anyone.

Share and discuss “Plainsman's Choice 2023 Best Coffee Shop: Well Red” on social media.