Plainsman's Choice 2023 Best New Store: Publix

After a grand opening in October 2022, Auburn’s new Publix location has been a huge success. The store is located on Gay Street in downtown Auburn, a short walk away from Samford Hall. Seen as a convenience for many people living in the downtown area, this location has quickly become popular among both Auburn locals and the student body.

A common theme among customer's comments was the high customer service they received.

“I've been coming ever since it [opened] and I love it. Everybody is so nice. You don't just walk into many grocery stores and any worker you walk by is gonna say something to you, but I've really noticed that about this one for sure,” said Kailyn Mcclory, a customer browsing the aisles.

The friendliness and welcoming atmosphere of the location was augmented by employees that could be seen lining the aisles, stocking shelves and ready to help customers find whatever they need.

“I love it. It's super convenient, and you can get everything here," said Paul Harris, professor in political science. "Everyone's super friendly.”

One major advantage of the new Publix has been its close proximity to campus. Students and faculty can easily shop after work and classes within a walking distance or driving a long way. This aspect of the store also helps students who do not own a car or may have trouble parking downtown.

“I like it. It’s good and has pretty much everything you need, I’m not complaining,” said Jackson Bridges, senior in business administration.

The smaller size compared to other Publix locations also helps with quick, efficient shopping. Many of the aisles are condensed to the essentials, with this store mainly stocking food and other major needs.

Construction of this Publix has been part of a larger effort to redevelop and bring new shopping locations to downtown Auburn. Located in the same 35,600-square-feet shopping center, the Pants Store has also opened recently. Nearby, Hey Day Market has opened adjacent to Auburn’s new Culinary Science Center. A new Target is also slated to open downtown in the fall with other developments being announced regularly.

In the future, this Publix plans to continue its exceptional service toward the Auburn community.

Diane Pham | News Writer

Diane Pham, freshman in industrial engineering, is a news writer at The Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Plainsman's Choice 2023 Best New Store: Publix ” on social media.