Tigers continuing to make small improvements during spring ball

<p>Auburn Athletic Director John Cohen poses with Hugh Freeze at the coaches' introduction as Auburn's head coach at the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Nov. 29, 2022.</p>

Auburn Athletic Director John Cohen poses with Hugh Freeze at the coaches' introduction as Auburn's head coach at the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Nov. 29, 2022.

Head coach Hugh Freeze introduced a physical element, tackling, to practice last week to test his players and evaluate where his offense and defense were. 

“I thought we tackled really well for not having tackled. Honestly, I thought the defense was very physical. I thought the offense didn’t respond real well, truthfully. It seemed we did not respond to adversity very well initially, and it kind of snowballed,” Freeze said. “But we would have been down a little bit if it was a real game based on our start, and we’ve got to create a different mindset about how we handle things when they don’t go exactly our way.”

Freeze stated earlier that the quarterbacks have several areas they must improve in to be ready for the fall. After last week’s practices, Freeze mentioned that even though they have “so far to go,” they are making some groundwork. Redshirt freshman Holden Geriner’s performance stood out to Freeze. 

“I thought (Holden Geriner) really, really stood out all week with his improvement in his play. He was impressive last week, but again, it’s still a competition. I think competition is good for everybody, and how you respond to it is critical,” Freeze said. 

Ever since Freeze arrived on the Plains, Auburn’s offensive line has been the center of his attention. Freeze added many new faces, like Dillon Wade, Gunner Britton and Avery Jones from the transfer portal to fix the gap in the Tigers’ offensive line, and he mentioned the difference he is already seeing. 

“(The offensive line) have absolutely improved us," Freeze said. "We won’t know until the fall of ‘did we close the gap far enough to be able to compete with the elite in this league?’ But there’s no question in my mind that they improved us, and I’m pleased with how they’re going about their business.” 

Another freshman that has caught Freeze’s eye is Connor Lew. Freeze announced that the young offensive lineman has already earned playing time on the scrimmage line. 

“I think we hit a home run with Connor Lew,” Freeze said. “Connor Lew is going to play for us as a freshman. He’s smart, tough, strong and moves well. Hopefully, he learns the game well. We’re playing him both at center and guard and (he) seems to be grasping it very well, so expect him to play as a freshman.” 

Although his team has made crucial adjustments, the Tigers still have a long way to go until they are ready to face the SEC’s elite. 

“I want to be very truthful that I think we’re making improvements, but there was a ways to go," Freeze said. "And it’s our job as coaches to get them to be the best that they can be. So I’ve been excited about their wanting to be coached and them accepting our coaching… They’ve done some good things. They all have had some inconsistencies, and it’s our job to improve that.”

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Tigers continuing to make small improvements during spring ball” on social media.