Tigers head deep into enemy territory for rivalry matchup

The Auburn Tigers (19-13-1, 4-8 ) head into enemy territory to face in-state rivals, the Alabama Crimson Tide (24-10, 4-8 ) for a three-game series starting Friday. 

Alabama leads the all-time series against Auburn 57-50. The Tigers won the last two home games against the Tide in May 2022. 

“Obviously, they’re our biggest rival, so getting a chance to go up there and compete for three days, you know, get the chance to take a serious win, and a sweep would be a big deal for us obviously, put us in a good position,” said centerfielder Kason Howell. “I feel good about where we are, and there’s nothing like playing a team with Alabama across their chest, so we’re just excited about it.”

Auburn is anticipating a tough, veteran lineup from Alabama. 

“I’m just looking at somebody right there tucked in the middle — Drew Williamson. Those rich stats across the board,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “... You can’t just get a setup and think you can come in there if you’re a right-handed pitcher, you know, face all varieties. It’s gonna go back-and-forth. You need to have your stuff set and be able to move the ball around the zone because they're alternating hitters.”

Graduate Drew Williamson leads Alabama’s offense with 47 hits, 38 RBIs, 31 runs and 10 home runs with a .385 batting average. With 29 RBIs, graduate Ed Johnson follows with 40 hits, 22 runs, four home runs, three doubles and a triple.

The Crimson Tide have several young talents on their roster. 

Freshman Colby Shelton was named SEC Freshman of the Week and National Player of the Week on March 6. In 31 games, Shelton has 31 hits, 29 runs, 26 RBIs, 13 home runs and five doubles. The young freshman's home run tally is nationally ranked 15th. 

On the mound for Alabama, sophomore RHP Luke Holman (5-1, 2.83) opens the series, and junior LHP Grayson Hitt (3-1, 4.19) will start on Saturday. The Sunday spot is still to be determined. 

This season, Holman has recorded 44 strikeouts, 12 walks and 11 earned runs in 35 innings. Hitt has 49 strikeouts, 25 walks and 18 earned runs in 38.2 innings. 

Auburn’s offense should watch out for sophomore Ben Hess on the mound for Alabama. RHP Hess has 48 strikeouts, 13 earned runs and eight walks while allowing 28 hits and 17 runs in 36.1 innings.  

Tommy Vail (2-1, 5.28) starts the series on Friday, and Drew Nelson (2-2, 5.40) will start on the mound on Saturday. The Tigers’ starting pitcher is still to be decided to wrap up the series on Sunday. 

“We’ll put Vail back in that first spot. He’s been there before,” Thompson said. “The new starter for SEC play will be Drew Nelson on Saturday. His last few innings and outings have been fairly favorable, competitive.”

After a good report, pitcher Joseph Gonzalez is closer to SEC play, starting to throw again this week. He will travel with the team to Tuscaloosa but will not appear on the mound. 

The rivalry series begins at 6 p.m. CST on Friday on the SEC Network+. 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Tigers head deep into enemy territory for rivalry matchup” on social media.