Players react to Jarquez Hunter's return to practice

Auburn running back Jarquez Hunter (27) grimly walks down the sideline in a game against Georgia in Sanford Stadium on Oct. 8, 2022.

Auburn running back Jarquez Hunter made his first appearance to the media at football practice on Tuesday after he was not seen at the two previous practices in which the media got the opportunity to watch.

Hunter accumulated nearly 1,500 total yards and 13 touchdowns in his first two seasons with the Tigers, and the preseason all-SEC third team member is the presumed starter at running back for the 2023 season.

After showing impressive signs as the backup behind NFL running back Tank Bigbsy for two seasons, his teammates were excited to see him back on the practice field Tuesday.

“Everyone’s always happy when you have good players on the team,” said Auburn linebacker Wesley Steiner. “You go to a pickup game, you’re gonna want Michael Jordan on your team if you can pick him up, so it’s always good to have good players and you’re always gonna try to get the best ones. So, it’s good to have a good player back on the field.”

Auburn receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr. echoed Steiner’s words of how grateful the team is to have him back and cited that their close relationship made him excited for Hunter’s return.

“Jarquez, he’s a great guy to be around when you actually get to know him,” Johnson Jr. said. “He’s somebody that I trust, and he just brings a different element to the game that we all enjoy… It’s been exciting to see him back.”

Left guard Tate Johnson blocked for Hunter during the first four games of the 2022 season and had a lot of praise for the junior running back. Johnson revealed that the team went live for the last part of practice, and that Hunter made it difficult for the defense to bring him down.

“Jarquez is just phenomenal, and it’s awesome having him back,” Johnson said. “We went live the last period, and man, it was hard for those guys to tackle him. So, he’s phenomenal. Everyone knows that, and it’s just awesome to have him back.”

Hunter’s talent running the ball was enough to make his teammates excited to see his return, but according to Auburn cornerback D.J. James, there was another reason to be excited. The preseason all-SEC third team cornerback noted that the energy Hunter brings to the team excited him.

“Super excited to have him back,” James said. “I’m so happy to see my guy. Just the energy he brings, the confidence he brings to the team, that was just great to have him back out there with us. I’m very excited for him.”

Hunter and the Auburn Tigers start the 2023 regular season on Sept. 2 against UMass. Freeze’s debut game at Auburn kicks off at 2:30 p.m. CST and will be televised on ESPN.

Jacob Waters | Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a senior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in August, 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Players react to Jarquez Hunter's return to practice” on social media.