Asante tackles SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Week honors

<p>Auburn linebacker Eugene Asante (9) heads onto the field at California Memorial Stadium on September 9, 2023.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn linebacker Eugene Asante (9) heads onto the field at California Memorial Stadium on September 9, 2023. 

The SEC announced Monday that Eugene Asante was named SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Week for his efforts in the 14-10 win against Cal.

Asante led the team with a career-high 12 total tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss. The Virginia native also tallied a sack and two quarterback hurries. Asante even played a role in the passing game by recording a pass break-up.

"It's surreal to be honest with you," Asante said. "I'm grateful to God that I didn't give up on myself. When I first got here, my dad passed away in February, had to go through spring ball and battle a lot of things... So, just to experience being the SEC Player of the Week, I'm just praying I made him proud and I'm grateful to get the opportunity to be out there and and play the game I love and played it the way I know how to play, which is with intensity and effort."

The junior is quickly becoming a player to watch on the Tiger defense, as he also led the team in tackles against week one opponent UMass. The linebacker had one tackle on the season in 2022, after transferring to the Plains from North Carolina and playing just four games.

Led by Asante, Auburn allowed just 113 rushing yards and an average of 2.8 yards per carry. The Golden Bears, who managed just one touchdown, were terrorized by Asante and the tenacious Tiger defense throughout the contest.

Asante hopes to leave a similar mark on Saturday, as Auburn plays host to the Samford Bulldogs at 6 p.m. CT for Homecoming.

Chase Black | Sports Writer

Chase Black is a senior majoring in English education and minoring in sport communication. From Georgiana, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @chaseblack334

Share and discuss “Asante tackles SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Week honors” on social media.