Plainsman Picks: California

Ahead of Auburn's trip to Cal, here's what some of our sports staff has to say about the game, complete with score predictions and analysis.

Jacob Waters, Sports Editor: Auburn 27-14

"Both teams exploded offensively against lesser opponents last week as Auburn scored 59 against UMass and California scored 58 against North Texas. I don't expect that this week, however, when the two teams face one another. I still have questions about both team's offenses when they play teams that are more talented and think the Auburn offense needs more time to gel. Also throwing in that the statuses of California quarterback Sam Jackson V and Auburn running back Jarquez Hunter are questionable, I expect this game to be low scoring.

I think Auburn is the more talented team but will have to adjust between the flight and playing on the other side of the country. Because of this, I expect this to be an ugly game for a while that is close heading into the fourth quarter, but Auburn's defense plays a solid game which will help the Tigers pull away from the Golden Bears in the fourth quarter."

Matthew Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor: Auburn 38-28

"A cross-country trip to play a Cal team that seems much improved will be an early-season test for the Tigers. The Golden Bears totaled 669 yards of offense despite starting quarterback Sam Jackson V leaving with an injury in the first half. The game will come down to whether Auburn's defense can get to the quarterback and avoid missing tackles.

After a week one in which the Tigers didn't have to utilize the passing game extensively, Payton Thorne will have one of his first opportunities to lead the Tigers with his arm. Look for Thorne to lead a pair of late scoring drives to give Auburn the win."

Grace Heim, Sports Reporter: Auburn 30-27

“The Auburn Tigers head to The Golden State for the first time since the 2014 BCS National Championship game where the team fell short to No. 1 ranked Florida State. Its matchup against Cal is going to be a battle, but I think Auburn is going to leave the West Coast with a win. 

To win on Saturday, the Tigers need a defensive plan to stop Cal’s star running back Jaydn Ott who is coming off a week with 178 rushing yards. Offensively, the Tigers will need to maximize use of their passing game under Payton Thorne as the Golden Bears defense led by linebacker Jackson Sirmon will look to stop the Tigers run game. All in all, I think Thorne will prove himself as a passing quarterback this week, giving Auburn an edge over Cal in a contest that remains close throughout all four quarters.”

Tyler Raley, Sports Writer: Auburn 30-21

"In a trip to the opposite side of the country, Auburn is going to be put to a unique test against a California team that is seemingly much more skilled than last year's squad. The Golden Bears put up an impressive offensive performance last week, with most of their yardage coming from backup quarterback Ben Finley. They combined this with a lethal running attack from Jadyn Ott and Isaiah Ifanse, who together scored five touchdowns for the team.

While both teams put up many points on the scoreboard in week one, I look for this to be a mostly defensive game, especially in the first half. With Auburn still being questionable about Jarquez Hunter's status, and California having questions as to who will start at quarterback, the Auburn defense will have to step up and make a number of hard-nosed plays as they did in week one. I look for the Tiger defense to limit the scoring in the key moments, which is why they will pull out a close night game in Berkeley.

TP Hammock, Sports Writer: Auburn 49-42 

"Last week, the California Golden Bears went on the road and took down North Texas with ease. This was a big change in pace as California looked very good offensively. Last season California went 4-8, while being 2-7 in PAC-12 Conference play. However, with emerging sophomore Jaydn Ott, who rushed for 188 yards and three touchdowns last week, the Golden Bears are showing improvement. This is in part of hiring Jake Spavital as offensive coordinator. Auburn will need its defense to be fully locked in for this game as it looks like Cal will have one of the better offenses in the Pac-12.

This game will come down to if Auburn can stop the run, and stop a revamped offense. I think this will come down to talent and coaching, as Hugh Freeze will be against Justin Wilcox. While many are high on Wilcox, Freeze is the better coach in this. I think this will be a classic "Pac-12 After Dark" shootout, with the Tigers pulling out a gutsy victory. If Auburn lets Ott carry the offense, watch out, as it could be a long night for the Tigers. I think Auburn will survive and bring home the victory from Berkley."  

Caroline Roberts, Sports Writer: Auburn 35-14

“The California Golden Bears had a victorious match on Sept. 2 against a lesser North Texas team. They beat North Texas 58-21 and had a second-half shutout. I believe this game will come down to each team's ability to break down the defensive line. Auburn allowed UMass to score a total of 14 points in Saturday’s game. It stalled UMass’s offensive attacks for the second and third quarters leaving them scoreless. 

Auburn gained 297 rushing yards during the UMass game, however, Cal would rush for a gain of 379. If Auburn can stall the offensive attacks they should have no issue against this Cal team. Although, both teams pose a strong passing game for a combined total of 515 yards. It will all come down to grit, passion, and sustainability throughout the game. I believe Auburn will pull away with a 35-14 win because of their dedication and desire for another victory.”

Share and discuss “Plainsman Picks: California” on social media.