Behind enemy bylines: Ole Miss

<p>Auburn running back Jarquez Hunter (27) bursts through the line for a 48-yard rush against the Ole Miss Rebels in the second quarter at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium on Oct. 15, 2022.</p>

Auburn running back Jarquez Hunter (27) bursts through the line for a 48-yard rush against the Ole Miss Rebels in the second quarter at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium on Oct. 15, 2022.

Before Auburn takes on Ole Miss on Saturday, The Auburn Plainsman's sports editor, Jacob Waters, sat down with The Daily Mississippian's sports editor, Cameron Larkin, to ask some questions about this weekend's contest.

Waters: Ole Miss is coming off a bye week. How important will that be for this week's matchup?

Larkin: "It took a lot for Ole Miss to beat LSU two weeks before the bye, and I think that toll was pretty evident in the Arkansas game. The bye week could not have gotten here sooner. Ole Miss has dealt with countless injuries – Jaxson Dart, Zahkari Franklin, Quinshon Judkins, Caden Prieskorn and Tre Harris have all had lingering injuries. This off week was a great chance to reset, rehab and regroup for the second half of the season. I think we will see a revitalized and healthy Ole Miss team on Saturday."

Waters: Last time Ole Miss played at Auburn, there were a few questionable decisions to go for it on fourth down. Is Lane Kiffin still really aggressive in going for it on fourth downs?

Larkin: "I do not think it is any secret that Kiffin takes the most risks out of any coach in the country. It is a blessing and a curse all wrapped up in one, but it has worked out thus far. He is one of the more brilliant offensive minds in the nation, so if his analytics tell him to go for it on fourth down, then it is probably the right decision – no matter the outcome, whether the offense always converts or not, it is typically the right decision at that moment in time. I think people get caught up looking through the rearview mirror after a team does not convert on fourth down, but those same people rejoice when their team goes for it, and it is successful."

Waters: Jaxson Dart has been really good through half of the season. Where’s he improved the most since last season?

Larkin: "He just looks more like the man week in and week out. He seems to have the confidence, and rightfully so, that he is the guy, he is the team's leader and that his teammates look up to him. On the field, his patience and decision-making have taken astronomical leaps compared to last year. He plays like a more complete quarterback this year."

Waters: Who are a couple offensive players Auburn fans should look out for?

Larkin: "Ole Miss' entire pass-catching core is something to look out for. Zakhari Franklin has not had a chance to break out yet, but his statement game is on the way very soon. Tre Harris, our WR1, according to the depth chart, has already built a deep connection with Jaxson Dart on and off the field. Similarly to Franklin, Caden Prieskorn has been on the back burner, but he is a top TE in the nation, and his impact and potential certainly should not go overlooked."

Waters: Who are a couple defensive players Auburn fans should look out for?

Larkin: "Ole Miss' defense is still trying to take form this season, but players like JJ Pegues, Zamari Walton and Monty Montgomery have been consistently holding the fort down. They play their positions well, but they also serve as leaders for the defense, and they are massive reasons why we have seen steady improvement throughout the season."

Waters: Any significant injuries for Ole Miss?

Larkin: "As of right now, there is no one ruled out for Saturday's game. Once again, the bye week came at a perfect time when the roster was a bit banged. It looks like most, if not everyone should have the green light to play on Saturday."

Waters: Your prediction for the game?

Larkin: "I think the environment and the fact that Auburn will most likely play up to the level of its competition makes this game much closer than a lot of people think. For those reasons, I think the final score is in the range of 34-28"

Jacob Waters | Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a senior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in August, 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Behind enemy bylines: Ole Miss” on social media.