Plainsman Picks: Mississippi State

<p>Robby Ashford (#9) is in possession of the ball at Auburn versus Ole Miss in Jordan-Hare Stadium on October 21st 2023.</p>

Robby Ashford (#9) is in possession of the ball at Auburn versus Ole Miss in Jordan-Hare Stadium on October 21st 2023.

Ahead of Auburn's game against Mississippi State, here's what some of our staff has to say about the game, complete with score predictions and analysis.

Jacob Waters, Sports Editor: Auburn 20-14

"After going through a gauntlet of Texas A&M, Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss, Auburn's schedule finally starts to ease up with 4-3 Mississippi State coming to town, and I think the Tigers finally have a matchup where there isn't an obvious disadvantage.

We all know Auburn's offense has been bad, but the good news for the Tigers is Mississippi State's offense is bad as well – fresh off a 7-3 win over Arkansas. In Auburn's last four losses, we've heard Hugh Freeze say his goal was to stretch out those games as long as possible and hope to win it in the fourth quarter. Auburn shouldn't have to limit itself and stretch out the game and should have more of an identity on offense. While I don't think that will translate to more points, I do think Auburn will have control of the game throughout. With two bad offenses facing off against two good defenses, I think Auburn wins an ugly game thanks to a big game from Jarquez Hunter that mirrors the Auburn versus Missouri game from 2022."

Matthew Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor: Auburn 20-10

"After facing three of the nation's top 15 offenses consecutively, Auburn faces a different challenge on Saturday against Mississippi State. Much like Auburn, the Bulldogs' offense has struggled mightily this season, but the defense has been consistent — look no further than a 7-3 win over Arkansas last week to prove that point.

Auburn's offense will likely be able to play at a quicker tempo that the Tigers are more comfortable with, rather than attempting to slow the game down due to the level of offensive competition. With both teams having struggling offenses, but good defenses, expect points to be difficult to come by for both squads. The injury status of Mississippi State quarterback Will Rogers, who seems unlikely to play Saturday, also has an impact on the game. While the score may be ugly at the end, Auburn will gladly take any victory it can get as the schedule begins to ease up in the second half of the season."

Grace Heim, Sports Reporter: Auburn 14-7

"After a tough schedule stretch and four straight SEC losses, the Tigers look to claim their first SEC win of the season against Mississippi State on Saturday. With the status of the Bulldogs’ starting quarterback Will Rogers questionable, Auburn is finally facing a matchup in which they start with the advantage. 

I expect this to be a low-scoring game. Neither team’s offenses have looked great, and with Rogers potentially being out, the Bulldogs’ passing game is fated to struggle. Auburn ranks worst in the SEC in passing offense, but I expect the Tigers’ run game to carry them to their first SEC victory. Expect to see another big performance from Jarquez Hunter this week who is coming off a 91-yard game against Ole Miss and more appearances of Robby Ashford on the field.” 

Hector Hernandez, Sports Writer: Auburn 17-7

"Auburn will try to go 4-4 this weekend in a toss-up game against Mississippi State where I think the Tigers will barely get past to secure a win.

I'm expecting Auburn to run the ball as it has been throughout the season but do expect it to eventually start passing the ball as it did with mild success at the end of the Ole Miss game. Considering Mississippi State’s struggles to garner points against Arkansas, I doubt the Auburn defense will have much trouble against its offense. In the end, I’m expecting a low-scoring game from two offenses that haven’t shown much as of late with Auburn’s defense being a big factor in a win for the Tigers."

Tyler Raley, Sports Writer: Auburn 19-10

"Following a stretch of four straight losses to start conference play, Auburn finally starts to get a break from the level of difficulty in their opponents. With a beaten-up Mississippi State team coming to town following a tough win, it seems as if the Tigers have an opportunity to take care of business at home and get on the board in the SEC win column.

As has been the case for both teams in recent weeks, I expect this game to be fairly ugly. Both the Tigers and the Bulldogs have shown a lack of offensive production on the scoreboard, and that may be even more evident this week with the uncertainty at quarterback on both sides, with the instability at the position for Auburn and the questionable injury status for Mississippi State's Will Rogers. Auburn's defense has shown that it can create chances for the offense all season, and the same will be true this week. Due to the stagnant passing games, I see this as being a run-heavy battle that is won late, but on a field goal that will extend Auburn's lead to make it a two-possession ball game."

TP Hammock, Sports Writer: Auburn 13-7

"Auburn comes into this matchup off another disappointing loss. Mississippi State is coming off a close win over Arkansas. This is close to a must-win game for Auburn. Auburn has historically done well versus the Bulldogs but has lost their last two contests versus them. In the last ten years, Auburn is tied 5-5 versus Mississippi State.

I think Auburn will win this game, but it is going to be an ugly, defensive battle. This will be a game that old-fashioned football fans would love. This is the type of football game you would expect to see teams running the wishbone and playing physical defense. I think Auburn will get the stops and force an extra turnover to get the Tigers the victory. Give me two long field goals and a touchdown set up by a turnover. Auburn wins, with the defense showing its talent."

Share and discuss “Plainsman Picks: Mississippi State” on social media.