Auburn volleyball looking to extend winning streak over next two matchups

Coming off two big wins against SEC opponents, the Tigers look are looking to extend their four-match winning streak. Both wins were on the road, the first against the struggling Alabama Crimson Tide and second against the Texas A&M Aggies. These wins helped Auburn take fourth place in the SEC standings. 

Auburn defeated Alabama 3-1, making head coach Brent Crouch 5-0 against the Crimson Tide in his career at Auburn. The Tigers were favored in the affair as the Crimson Tide have not won a match in conference play.

Following the Alabama game, Auburn defeated Texas A&M 3-2. That put the Tigers at 5-1 in five-set matches this season, and it recorded 10 blocks in a match for the 11th time this season. This win gave the Tigers the edge in conference play over the Aggies, putting the Tigers at 8-4 and the Aggies at 7-6. 

Auburn now looks ahead to two more SEC opponents. They host No. 13 Kentucky, who currently holds the top spot in the SEC, and Missouri, who last swept Auburn in Neville Arena. 

The Tigers host the 13-7 Kentucky Wildcats, who are on an impressive 10-match winning streak. The Wildcats took care of business in their last match when they last defeated the Florida Gators 3-1. The last time Auburn beat Kentucky was in September 2010, so the Tigers are looking to end this drought. 

Some key Kentucky players include Brooklyn DeLeye, who leads the team with 258 kills, and Eleanor Beavin, leading the team in digs with 304. Kentucky is also second in the SEC in assists and kills.

Errors have been an issue for Auburn as of late. Limiting these mistakes against a Kentucky team that has been on fire is crucial to get the win at home. Playing solid defense and continuing to record blocks will also be a determining factor.

Following the Kentucky match, Auburn will travel to face Missouri for the second time this season. Missouri is 9-3 at home and has won its last two matches against SEC opponents at home. In Auburn’s first match against the opposing Tigers, it lost in straight sets for the first time at home this season. Auburn has lost its last two matches to Missouri, with the last win coming in October 2022. 

Missouri is sixth in SEC conference play, with a 15-9 record and 7-6 record in the conference. The Tigers are looking for a strong finish to the end of their season, starting to build a streak. Look for Auburn to come out and stay aggressive, as it started to lose grip offensively in the last set of the previous match. 

The offensive and defensive leaders of the Missouri Tigers include Jordan Iliff and Maya Sands. Iliff leads Missouri in kills with 305, and Sands leads in digs with 434.

Auburn is set to host Kentucky on Wednesday, Nov. 8 at 6:30 p.m. CST. The match will be televised on SEC Network+. On Sunday, Nov. 12, Auburn will face Missouri on the road at 3 p.m. CST, and the match will also be televised on SEC Network+.

Tyler Cox | Sports Writer

Tyler Cox is a sophomore from Atlanta majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in fall 2023.

Share and discuss “Auburn volleyball looking to extend winning streak over next two matchups” on social media.