Keionte Scott and Jalen McLeod named SEC players of the week

Keionte Scott (#0) points out a defender versus Ole Miss at Jordan-Hare Stadium on October 21st, 2023.

Jack linebacker Jalen McLeod and cornerback Keionte Scott were both honored with SEC player of the week awards Monday afternoon after the Tigers claimed a road victory over Arkansas 48-10.

McLeod was named SEC Defensive Player of the Week due to his performance against the Razorbacks in which he recorded a season-high nine tackles, four tackles for loss, three sacks and one forced fumble.

"I think you're just now seeing what Jalen McLeod what we saw at the beginning of fall camp," said head coach Hugh Freeze. "Truthfully, it's taken him this long to get over that high ankle sprain. I think the last few weeks you watch practice you're like 'he's getting close to 100 percent now,' and congratulations to him."

Meanwhile Scott, who Freeze called one of the "most vocal leaders" on the team, was named SEC Special Teams Player of the Week after he had a 74-yard punt return for a touchdown that put Auburn up 14-0 early in the first quarter. The junior finished the game with three punt returns for 83 yards and one touchdown.

Scott's punt return for touchdown was the first time a Tiger has returned a punt for a touchdown that wasn't initially blocked since Quan Bray did so in 2014 against Louisiana Tech. 

McLeod now has 36 tackles, 8½ tackles for loss, 5½ sacks, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. Scott, who was sidelined for over a month due to injury, has 10 returns for 174 yards and one touchdown.

McLeod, Scott and the Tigers take the field again this Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium as Auburn looks to extend its three-game winning streak. Auburn will face New Mexico State at 3 p.m. CST, and the game will be televised on SEC Network.

Jacob Waters | Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a senior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in August, 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Keionte Scott and Jalen McLeod named SEC players of the week” on social media.