Plainsman Picks: Vanderbilt

Shane Hooks (#3) gets a touchdown against Mississippi at Jordan Hare on October 28 2023

Ahead of Auburn's trip to Vanderbilt, here's what some of our staff has to say about the game, complete with score predictions and analysis.

Jacob Waters, Sports Editor: Auburn 38-14

"Auburn finally broke the seal and won its first conference game last week against Mississippi State. In the win, we saw Auburn showcase an explosive offense in the first half and a slower offense in the second half – mostly due to unfortunate field position. This week against Vanderbilt, I think we see Auburn play a complete game for all four quarters and pick up its second straight conference win.

Vanderbilt is last in the SEC in rushing defense, and with Auburn running back Jarquez Hunter starting to find his form, I think the junior running back has a huge day on the ground, as well as the entire running back room. I believe with the running game dominating the Commodore defense, that will open up the passing game for Auburn and allow Payton Thorne to get into a rhythm like he did against Mississippi State. I already have full faith that the Auburn defense will not have too many issues against the Vanderbilt offense, and we see Auburn play its best game against a Power Five opponent since Hugh Freeze took over as head coach."

Matthew Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor: Auburn 34-17

"Expect the run game to be prevalent for Auburn as Vanderbilt has struggled mightily with stopping the run. With the offense riding the momentum of a strong first half last week against Mississippi State, expect the Tigers to continue their offensive improvement against the Commodores.

Though Auburn has struggled on the road this season, the stadium will likely be filled with Tiger fans, providing an effective home-field advantage though the game is on the road. The run game should set up the passing game for success as the Tigers get their second SEC win of the season.

Grace Heim, Sports Reporter: Auburn 28-10

"With a conference win under its belt, Auburn travels to Nashville, Tennessee to take on the Vanderbilt Commodores. The Tigers’ schedule until the end of the season does not look as daunting as the middle stretch of their SEC schedule, and I expect Auburn to easily defeat the Commodores. 

Last week, Payton Thorne had an impressive performance at quarterback, tossing for 230 yards against Mississippi State. Despite his success in the air, I expect Auburn to rely heavily on the run game against Vanderbilt as the Commodores have struggled with rushing defense all season. Look for Jarquez Hunter, who is looking more like the Hunter of last season, to have a big game. The Tigers should comfortably pick up their second SEC win of the season with a dominant run performance.” 

Jac Myrick, Podcast Editor: Auburn 30-14

"This is a great time for Auburn to find its footing against weaker opponents moving forward. Auburn is coming off a great offensive performance against Mississippi State, arguably their most complete game of the season so far. The Tigers could build off that performance and find a rhythm going on offense this game.

I think for Auburn keep things going, it needs to have a fast tempo on offense. We saw last week Auburn move the ball better than they have when in a hurry up offense in the first half. Another huge reason for their success was Payton Thorne's performance, but I think for this game the Tigers will be more focused on the ground game. Vanderbilt is last in the conference for rushing defense, so look for Jarquez Hunter to play a pivotal role in Auburn's offense. The Tigers should not underestimate the Commodores though, I could see this be a trap game for Auburn. Vanderbilt has done it before, last year getting two conference wins on Florida and Kentucky in its last three games. I do think Auburn wins this and can win this decisively by making a statement on offense."

Daniel Locke, Community News Editor: Auburn 31-14

"Auburn has a golden opportunity to build on its success from last week. Vanderbilt is once again a bottom-feeder in the SEC and should not be too much of a challenge for an Auburn team that has already taken on Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss. With that being said, Auburn does not need to overlook the opposition this week.

Auburn seems to have found something that works offensively. Quarterback Payton Thorne has looked better and running back Jarquez Hunter appears to have found his stride. Freshman Connor Lew has done a good job of filling Avery Jones' shoes at center and the rest of the offensive line has taken a step forward. The Tigers have been great defensively and the Commodores have struggled on offense and are experiencing quarterback controversy of their own. Auburn is more than capable of winning this game in convincing fashion."

Share and discuss “Plainsman Picks: Vanderbilt” on social media.