Players to watch, keys to victory against Vanderbilt

Auburn managed to rebound from a four-game skid and earn its first conference win of the Hugh Freeze era after a home win over Mississippi State. Next, Auburn starts its two-game road trip – starting in Nashville, Tennessee against Vanderbilt (2-7).  

Vanderbilt is coming off a game against SEC West opponent Ole Miss, in which it lost 33-7 in Oxford. The Commodores were outgained 431 to 229 with a net 60 passing yards. 

Despite the Tigers besting the Commodores in 13 out of the last 15 games, the all-time series remains tied 21-21-1. The two losses in that time frame come from Auburn's two most recent trips to Nashville, ending in two Tiger losses.  

Players to Watch  

Auburn: 

Jarquez Hunter (Running Back) 

The junior running back has begun to show signs of dominance Auburn fans expected, with 144 yards rushing against Mississippi State and 91 yards against Ole Miss. The Commodore defense has struggled against the run, ranking last in the SEC in rushing yards allowed per game with 174.4 and last with 4.9 yards allowed per carry. Look for Auburn to lean on Hunter and the run game. 

Auburn Wide Receiver Room

The Vanderbilt defense has allowed a 100+ yard receiver in four of its last five games. No Auburn receiver has hit the 100-yard mark yet this season. It has yet to be done by an Auburn receiver against an SEC opponent since Shederick Jackson recorded 111 yards against South Carolina on Nov. 11, 2021. Auburn will need someone to step up in the receiving core. 

Vanderbilt: 

Will Sheppard (WR) 

The lone bright spot in the Vanderbilt offense has some impressive numbers in his senior season. Ranking third in the SEC in touchdowns with eight and sixth with 591 yards receiving, the preseason All-SEC pick has lived up to the hype. Sheppard faces a loaded Auburn secondary. 

Vanderbilt Quarterback Room 

Vanderbilt head coach Clark Lea has named Ken Seals and Walter Taylor co-starters after benching Seals in favor of Taylor against Ole Miss. AJ Swann, the team's starter at the beginning of the season, has appeared in five games this season but, due to injury, has been sidelined for the last four games. With Swann unavailable, the two must be on their game against an Auburn secondary leading the SEC in interceptions. 

Keys to Victory

Auburn 

Auburn fans saw shades of what the Tiger's offense is capable of in the first half against Mississippi State. However, Auburn's offense reverted back to what has been seen most of the season in the second half with conservative play calling and empty possessions. Auburn must keep its foot on the gas for all four quarters through the air and on the ground. 

Vanderbilt

The difference between the Auburn and Vanderbilt total offenses is 11.2 yards per game. While the Commodore offense is nothing to rave about, it averages 23 points per game at home against SEC opponents. Auburn, against Power Five opponents, averages 14 points per game on the road. Make Auburn earn the points and prevent short fields. 

Auburn and Vanderbilt kick off on Saturday, Nov. 4, at 3 p.m. CST in Nashville, Tennessee. The will be televised on SEC Network. 

Craig Noyes | Sports Writer

Craig Noyes is a junior from Kensington, Maryland, majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in January 2023.

Twitter: @craignoyes58

Share and discuss “Players to watch, keys to victory against Vanderbilt” on social media.