Auburn back in Neville Arena looking to stretch winning streak

WBB 12/20 vs. Washington State
WBB 12/20 vs. Washington State

After over a week away from the court, the  Auburn Tigers are back in Neville Arena – riding a seven-game winning streak. On Sunday afternoon, the Tigers hope to increase that winning streak when The Tigers go head-to-head against North Alabama at Neville Arena.

Auburn managed to squeak out a win in a close 69-62 win versus Washington State on Wednesday, Dec. 20 – the Tigers' most recent game.

JaMya Mingo-Young was a key factor in the Tigers' win that afternoon, scoring 12 points while leading The Tigers with seven assists and seven rebounds. Mingo-Young was also a perfect 6-for-6 from the free-throw line. Although Mingo-Young was a game changer she credits this as “just doing her job.”

"That's my job, to push tempo," Mingo-Young said. "Get downhill and attack them. I knew I was going to have to help rebound. It's important as a point guard, being able to make an impact everywhere."

Head coach Johnnie Harris emphasized the importance of making sure the team brings intensity – citing they needed a good energy because it was crucial for a potential win.

"Extreme intensity. I told them in shootaround that's what we were going to have to have to win this game," Harris said. "I thought they played their hearts out."

Next up, Auburn will be competing against North Alabama Sunday, Dec. 30. The team travels from Florence, Alabama, and they’re currently competing in the Gulf South Conference. North Alabama's head coach is Missy Tiber who has now coached for eight seasons. 

Alexis Callins leads the team offensively – currently sitting as the leading scorer for North Alabama at 17.3 points per game. Callins stats are similar to Honesty-Scott Grayson, who averages 15.8 points per game.

The Lions will likely also rely on guard Alyssa Clutter, who is second on the team with 11.2 points per game and leads the team in assists at 5.1.

North Alabama is coming off a loss to Tennessee Tech 78-67 and has lost three of its last four games.

The Lions have played one other SEC this season, the Missouri Tigers, in which North Alabama fell on the road 83-72.

Both of these games will be played at Neville Arena on SECN+. North Alabama will be at Neville Arena tomorrow December 31 at 2 p.m. CST, and Tennessee will take place on January 4 at 7 p.m. CST.

Jakai Spikes | Writer

Jakai Spikes, senior in Journalism, is a writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Auburn back in Neville Arena looking to stretch winning streak” on social media.