COLUMN | Freezing on Broadway

<p>Hugh Freeze leads his captains out of the tunnel versus Samford</p>

Hugh Freeze leads his captains out of the tunnel versus Samford

They're back! 

Auburn is getting ready to take on Maryland in the 2023 TransPerfect Music City Bowl at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee. This will be the Tigers' second trip to Nashville this season, the first coming when Auburn played the Vanderbilt Commodores. The Tigers are looking to end their season on a positive note. The sting from losing the Iron Bowl still is felt, but the pain could be eased with a win over the Terps. Also, the Tigers are looking to avoid a four-game losing streak during bowl games. 

We often hear that bowl games do not matter, well, Coach Hugh Freeze might say otherwise. Freeze and his staff will have this team ready to play ball when it is time to lace it up on Saturday afternoon. Despite missing some pieces, this will still be a Maryland team that can be dangerous. Oh, and let us not forget that Mike Locksley, head coach of the Terps, used to be an assistant at the other SEC school that is in the Heart of Dixie. So, he knows Auburn quite well. 

It is no secret that Auburn struggles in bowl games. We all have nightmares of the many bowl losses over the previous years. I believe that it is vital that Auburn turns around that misfortune. A matter of fact, the last Auburn bowl win came in 2018 over Purdue in the Music City Bowl. Coincidence? I think not. The eyes of the college football world will be locked in on ABC at 1 p.m. to see this matchup between the Tigers and the Terps.

Auburn North. That’s what they call Nashville. The Auburn family travels well to Nashville. It was very evident when the Auburn faithful took over Vanderbilt’s stadium in early November. There is no doubt in my mind that this will be the case again. The Auburn Ticket Office announced that the school’s ticket allotment had sold out merely 24-48 hours after the tickets went on sale. Nissan Stadium will be filled with lots of Navy (that’s the color fans are encouraged to wear to the game), and it will be a beautiful sight to behold. 

It will be New Year’s weekend in Nashville, and that means there will be plenty to do around the city. On Friday evening, the Auburn Family is asked to make their way to Broadway for an evening filled with festivities. From 6 to 6:30 p.m., the Auburn marching band and cheerleaders will go head-to-head against Maryland's band and cheerleaders as they march down Broadway (between 1st Ave. and 2nd Ave). Following that, Auburn Athletics and the On to Victory NIL collective partner to bring War Eagle from Wildhorse Saloon. This ticketed event will feature a pep rally by the Auburn cheerleaders, marching band, and Aubie. It will host a Music City edition of Tiger Talk featuring the voice of the Auburn Tigers, Andy Burcham, Coach Hugh Freeze and other special guests. This event will have lots of things on hand, but you’ll have to attend to find out the rest. 

Auburn has momentum at this moment in time, since signing a top 10 recruiting class on Signing Day, Freeze has the Tigers trending upwards. A win in the TransPerfect Music City Bowl, that will be the cherry on the top of the first year under Freeze and company, and notch the program’s 800th win. In 2003, it was a win in the Music City Bowl that launched an undefeated 2004 season. Yes, that 2004 season that lives in Auburn lore. A season that featured running back Carnell Williams, who is now the associate head coach of the Auburn Tigers. It is majestic how life comes full circle.

I am excited to see the Auburn family together on New Year’s weekend in Nashvegas. Drinks will be bought, fun will be had, War Eagle will be shouted, and memories will be made. I truly still believe that there is no greater time to be an Auburn Tiger than right now! See you soon Nashville.

Michael Floyd | Community Writer

Michael Floyd, junior in journalism, has been with The Plainsman since Spring 2021. He is a native of Brewton, Ala., an can be followed on Twitter here.

Share and discuss “COLUMN | Freezing on Broadway” on social media.