Auburn defensive coordinator Ron Roberts to leave program

<p>Football and Auburn helmet on the field in Jordan-Hare Stadium against Texas A&amp;M on November 12, 2022.&nbsp;</p>

Football and Auburn helmet on the field in Jordan-Hare Stadium against Texas A&M on November 12, 2022. 

After just one season on the Plains, Auburn defensive coordinator Ron Roberts will not return for the 2024 season as it was reported by 247Sports' Matt Zenitz on Monday that Roberts will leave Auburn to become the co-defensive coordinator and linebackers linebackers coach at Florida.

Roberts’ departure means that head coach Hugh Freeze will be tasked with replacing both his offensive and defensive coordinators from the 2023 season as Auburn announced on Jan. 5 that former Tigers offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery would not return for 2024.

Prior to his arrival at Auburn, Roberts was hired by Freeze after serving as the defensive coordinator at Baylor from 2020-22.

In the lone season under Roberts, Auburn’s defense was slightly above average in most statistics across the country.

The Tigers were 45th in total defense, allowing 357.2 yards per game, and 41st in scoring defense, allowing 22.62 points per game. Auburn’s opponents usually made their mark on the ground as the Tigers’ rushing defense surrendered 155 yards per game, which was 76th in the country.

Auburn’s passing defense found success at times as the secondary, led by Jaylin Simpson, D.J. James and Nehemiah Pritchett, who all have accepted invitations to the Reese’s Senior Bowl, was 31st in passing yards allowed at 202.2 and was tied for third in the SEC with 12 interceptions.

Roberts joins Montgomery and cornerbacks coach Wesley McGriff as the three departures from Auburn’s 2023 coaching staff.

Jacob Waters | Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a senior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in August, 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Auburn defensive coordinator Ron Roberts to leave program” on social media.