Auburn picks up second consecutive SEC win over Georgia

Taylen Collins (#14) goes for a basket in Auburn's game against Georgia on January 29, 2024 at Neville Arena.

Auburn women’s basketball picked up its second consecutive conference win over Georgia, 67-49 – the lowest point total Auburn has allowed in SEC play this season. 

After an eight-day break since their last game, the Tigers, powered by their defense and 21 points from Honesty Scott-Grayson, won their third conference game in Neville Arena. 

The Tiger defense started the game strong and limited Georgia to nine points in the first quarter, forcing the Lady Bulldogs to shoot 3-of-11 from the field. Auburn only managed 12 points of their own and turned the ball over seven times in the first quarter. 

“We just came out and played our style,” said head coach Johnnie Harris. “We want to be tough, we want to be in the passing lane, we want to be aggressive, and I thought we did that. I thought we set the tone, and my key to the game for them was to get them on their heels and for us to get on our heels, and I thought we did that.” 

The Tigers forced 23 turnovers, the most of any conference game this season. Auburn improved on its average of 21.05 turnovers forced per game.

Powered by a trio of 3-point field goals from Scott-Grayson in the second quarter, Auburn doubled its first-quarter total and took a 13-point lead at the half.  

Despite shooting 39% from the field as a team, Auburn managed to win by 18 points, with 21 coming from Scott-Grayson. 

“She means so much to this ball club,” Harris said. “Not only scoring but on the defensive end she made some huge defensive plays, but she also creates for herself sometimes a little bit too much for others.” 

Scott-Grayson finished the night as the Tigers' leading scorer and added six rebounds, two steals and one block. She finished just three points shy of her season-high 24 points against Alabama State. 

Taylen Collins assisted Scott-Grayson in the scoring category, scoring 13 points, her highest-scoring night in conference play.

“I was feeling good,” Collins said. “It was very aggressive. I was trying to keep up with that and do whatever I could to find their gaps and get in their zone the best I could.” 

Collins ended the game with four rebounds, two steals and one block to go with her 13 points. 

With the win, Auburn improved to 14-6 on the season and 3-4 in conference play, putting the Tigers in a three-way tie for eighth place, while Georgia dropped to 1-6 in conference play in sole possession of last place. 

The Tigers will look to improve to 4-1 against SEC opponents at home when No. 1 South Carolina visits Auburn in Neville Arena on Thursday, Feb. 1 at 7 p.m. CST. The game will be broadcast on SEC Network+. 

Craig Noyes | Sports Writer

Craig Noyes is a junior from Kensington, Maryland, majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in January 2023.

Twitter: @craignoyes58

Share and discuss “Auburn picks up second consecutive SEC win over Georgia” on social media.