Auburn safeties coach Zac Etheridge to leave Tigers

Auburn secondary coach Zac Etheridge listening to a question at a press conference at the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Aug. 10, 2023.

Another Auburn position coach is out the door.

On Friday morning, Auburn safeties and secondary coach Zac Etheridge announced he was leaving the Tigers’ program. Etheridge made his announcement on social media.

"I want to thank the entire Auburn Family for the last three years," Etheridge said in his statement. "It's been a dream coaching at my alma mater, but I'm excited and ready for the next chapter to further my career. I love Auburn with all my heart and have no doubt that the program will flourish under coach (Hugh) Freeze's leadership. Above all, I want to say thank you to my players. It's truly been an honor and a blessing to develop Auburh men on and off the field while building lifelong relationships. I am and always will be an Auburn Tiger. War Damn Eagle!"

Etheridge spent three seasons on the Plains as a Tigers’ position coach. 

Etheridge, a former Auburn player, played safety for the Tigers from 2007-10 and won a national championship as a starting safety of the 2010-11 team.

“Auburn football would like to thank Zac for his contributions to the program the last three years,” Freeze said. “He played a vital role in establishing the foundation of the future. Zac is a relentless recruiter and tireless worker who has a bright future in this profession. I look forward to watching his career develop and wish him nothing but the best.”

Auburn was tied for third in the SEC over the 2023-24 season in interceptions with 12 and was 31st in the country in passing yards allowed per game (202.2).

Auburn’s secondary also has three players who have accepted invitations to the Reese’s Senior Bowl in Jaylin Simpson, Nehemiah Pritchett and D.J. James.

Etheridge's departure marks the second position coach to leave in as many days as former running backs coach Carnell "Cadillac" Williams announced he was leaving the Tigers' program Thursday night.

Jacob Waters | Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a senior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in August, 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Auburn safeties coach Zac Etheridge to leave Tigers” on social media.