Auburn still looking for first conference win

Auburn forward Taylen Collins (14) takes a shot against Louisiana on November 9, 2023 in Neville Arena.

Auburn women’s basketball continues its SEC road trip as the Tigers travel to Oxford, Mississippi, on Thursday before returning home to face the LSU Tigers on Sunday. The Tigers are still looking for their first SEC win of the season after entering conference play with eight straight wins.

The Rebels started conference play 1-1 with a win over Alabama on the road but suffered their fourth loss of the season in an 84-73 loss to the LSU Tigers. 

Since losing the first game of their season 92-78 to the Colorado Buffaloes, the LSU Tigers have won 15 straight games, including a 2-0 start in conference play with wins over Ole Miss and Missouri. 

After a 66-44 defeat in College Station, Texas, the Texas A&M Aggies extended Auburn's losing streak to two games and dropped the Tigers to 11-4. 

Players to Watch 

Auburn: Honesty Scott-Grayson 

The graduate student in her fifth season at Auburn leads the team in scoring and is averaging a career-high 15.4 points per game. After scoring 15 of the team's 44 points against Texas A&M, the Tigers must continue to lean on her leadership and scoring ability in continued SEC play. 

Ole Miss: Madison Scott

The senior from Indian Head, Maryland, has proved to be a crucial piece to the Rebels this season, averaging 10.4 points per game while leading the team with 6.4 rebounds.

In 14 games played with 13 games started, Scott has recorded three double-doubles on the season and scored in double-digit figures in nine out of the 14 games with a season-high 21 points against Howard. 

She will be a multifaceted threat to Auburn on both ends of the floor. 

LSU: Angel Reese

A star on and off the court has been shrouded in controversy this season, missing time early in the season, but has been phenomenal for the LSU Tigers in her 12 games played this season.  

The LSU Tigers' leader in points per game with 19.8 and rebounds per game with 11, has been red hot in SEC play, averaging 21 points and 11 rebounds in the LSU Tigers' two conference games. 

Reese is a threat on both ends of the court and will be a test in the matchup of Tigers. 

Auburn will continue conference play against the Rebels on Thursday, Jan. 11, at 6:30 p.m. CST on SEC Network+. The Auburn Tigers will return to Neville Arena to face the No. 7 LSU Tigers on Sunday, Jan. 14, at 2 p.m. CST on ESPN. 

Craig Noyes | Sports Writer

Craig Noyes is a junior from Kensington, Maryland, majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in January 2023.

Twitter: @craignoyes58

Share and discuss “Auburn still looking for first conference win” on social media.