Auburn hires Vontrell King-Williams as new defensive tackles coach

Head coach Hugh Freeze at Auburn's football practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Aug. 8, 2023.

With the recent departure of Jeremy Garrett to the NFL as the Jacksonville Jaguars defensive line coach, Vontrell King-Williams will take over defensive tackles duties heading into the 2024 season, according to multiple reports. The news was first reported by Brian Stultz of Rivals. 

King-Williams is considered a young up-and-comer in the coaching ranks. He got his career started as a defensive line intern in 2017 at UTSA, where he had a short stint as a player. He then moved on to Eastern Michigan for the 2018-19 seasons as a defensive graduate assistant. 

King-Williams spent time under Hugh Freeze for the 2020-21 seasons before moving back to Eastern Michigan to take over as defensive line coach in 2022. 

Becoming a part of Auburn’s off-field staff in 2023 as an assistant defensive line coach, much of his time was spent assisting Garrett in coaching and recruiting. Now, he will take full control. Per reports, King-Williams will coach defensive tackles while Josh Aldridge moves to EDGE coach and defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin coaches linebackers.

With the hire, Freeze has completed his staff with three weeks until spring practice gets underway. 

Logan Fowler | Sports Writer

Logan Fowler is a junior from Sumiton, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in Spring 2024.

Share and discuss “Auburn hires Vontrell King-Williams as new defensive tackles coach” on social media.