Auburn claims run-rule victory over Florida A&M

<p>Kaleb Freeman (#10) hits the ball making it to first base.</p>

Kaleb Freeman (#10) hits the ball making it to first base.

After being swept by Mississippi State, the Tigers (20-20, 2-16 SEC) were hungry for a win coming into their midweek matchup against Florida A&M (20-20, 15-3 SWAC). Glowing with determination, Auburn broke its three-game losing streak with a dominant 11-1 win in seven innings over the Rattlers. 

Although Auburn’s lineup was missing big players, like sophomore Ike Irish, graduate Bobby Peirce and senior Mason Maners, its veterans stepped up to help secure the victory. 

First baseman Cooper McMurray, shortstop Cooper Weiss, right fielder Kaleb Freeman and designated hitter Christian Hall helped carry the Tigers to victory. Collectively, they contributed six runs, five hits, three doubles, one home run and seven RBIs. 

After being held to two scoreless frames, the Tigers’ offense gained momentum in the third and scored eight runs. McMurray got Auburn on the board, thanks to LHP Logan Sharpton’s balk. 

Auburn baseball player celebrates clearing second base

With two runners on base, Freeman saw his opportunity to extend Auburn’s lead. Freeman blasted the ball down the left field line to secure a double, sending third baseman Gavin Miller and left fielder Cade Belyeu home to make it 3-0. 

After a Florida A&M pitching change, second baseman Caden Green singled to left field so that Freeman could score. 

Weiss continued the Tigers’ offensive assault with a double sent down the left field line that cleared the bases. McMurray wrapped up Auburn’s offense surge with a double down the right field line, so Weiss could make it 8-0. 

The Rattlers hoped to gain some offensive momentum but scored only one run in the fifth inning. 

Determined to finish the game in seven innings, the Tigers rallied together to score three runs in the sixth and seventh innings. 

Head coach Butch Thompson’s pitching staff had a solid day on the bump, collecting 12 strikeouts, one walk and one wild pitch while allowing only two hits and one run. 

“I think the way their stuff set today would play so competitively on the weekend – like what we’ve been used to in the past – so they were good,” Thompson said. “That’s why they got out there today to keep trying to define, develop and get your stuff set again. And they both accomplished that today.”

Thompson opted for RHP Chase Allsup – who usually pitches on the weekend – as Auburn’s midweek starter. Earning the win, Allsup (2-3) pitched five innings and recorded eight strikeouts, one walk and one wild pitch while allowing two hits and one run. 

Chase Allsup (#46) pitches for Auburn against Florida A & M.

RHP Cam Tilly took over the mound in the sixth, pitching two innings. Facing six total batters, Tilly logged four strikeouts with no walks. 

“Tilly stuff was so good today,” Thompson said. “And that’s his job. I told him today is to get to that level of stuff and let it play, regardless of who’s in the box and what day it is. That is the consistency and demand from him.”

Comparatively, Florida A&M went through seven pitchers and recorded 12 walks, one strikeout, two wild pitches, one balk and two hit-by-pitches. 

Continuing SEC play, the Tigers travel to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, to face the Bayou Bengals on Friday, April 26, at 6:30 p.m. CST for a three-game series. The series will be televised on SEC Network+.

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn claims run-rule victory over Florida A&M” on social media.