Auburn seeks first SEC series win against Mississippi State

Auburn Baseball defeats Georgia Tech 12-8 at home on April 16th 2024

The Auburn Tigers (19-17, 2-13 SEC) are looking for their first SEC series win of the season as they prepare to travel to play the Mississippi State Bulldogs (23-14, 7-8 SEC). 

The Tigers have struggled against SEC competition so far this season, playing four ranked teams straight. The bulldogs are their first SEC foe to not be ranked going into the matchup. 

“We’re looking forward to a fresh restart second half of SEC baseball play traveling to Mississippi State,” said Auburn head coach Butch Thompson. “I think it’s super Bulldog Weekend. It’ll be a fun experience, a great atmosphere it always is for that event, much like our A-Day with the best crowds we’ve ever had. I expect the same going to Starkville this weekend. So, looking forward to the second half.” 

Auburn’s pitching has been its kryptonite, lacking consistency so far, and its lineup has given the pitching staff things to work on. In their last game against Georgia Tech, the team gave up seven runs in three innings to allow for a close game. 

"We’ve tried to adjust some things and are really not sure we found a lot of answers and just currently where we’re at," Thompson said. "We’ll probably throw (Dylan) Watts again in that first game and get started there...He had really done a good job in some relief appearances."

Thomspon also plans to throw Tanner Bauman in game two and then Carson Myers game three. 

The Bulldogs have an electric offense as sophomore Dakota Jordan leads the Bulldogs with 15 home runs, 52 hits, and 51 RBIs and is their go to guy in the lineup. David Mershon (SS), Hunter Hines (1B), and Amani Larry (2B) are Mississippi State's consistent hitters that can go deep during their at bats. 

To be able to compete in this series, the Tigers will need their freshmen to step up. Players like Cade Belyeu, Cale Strickland and Eric Guevara have proved they can contribute when needed. 

“It’s tough to play in this league,” said senior infielder Cooper Weiss. “There’s no doubt about that. You've got to be a special talent, special kid to play as a true freshman in any league, but more so the SEC and to have them produce like they are and to set the table for the older guys that have to be at the top of our lineup or the more experienced guys, it’s exceptional and it’s going to give us an opportunity to win every game.” 

The Tigers travel to Starkville, Mississippi to play the Bulldogs at Dudy Noble Field with the series starting on Friday, April 19 with first pitch set for 6:00 p.m. CST. Game two is on Saturday, April 20 at 5:00 p.m. and game three on Sunday, April 21 at 1:00 p.m. Saturday’s game will be broadcast on the SEC Network while Friday and Sunday’s game will be on SECN +. 

William Halliday | Sports Writer

William Halliday started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. He is a journalism major from Memphis, Tennessee.

Twitter: @wphalliday3

Share and discuss “Auburn seeks first SEC series win against Mississippi State” on social media.