Brent Culver junior, public relations

The Auburn Plainsman
News

YOUR VIEW: College Republicans Wrongfully Endorse Candidate

Editor, the Auburn PlainsmanI am a conservative student and I consider myself to be a Republican.I have always thought that the College Republican organization did a good job of providing opportunities for all students to hear the views and opinions of all candidates running for office on the Republican ticket.It had always been my understanding that the role of organizations like the College Republicans was to provide students with information without preference in a primary election and, as a result, students could use that knowledge to make their own decisions at the ballot box.To that end, I was shocked and disappointed when I read that the statewide organization had decided to take the unprecedented action of formally endorsing a candidate for governor in the Republican primary.I believe that this move does not help the College Republicans in any way.If anything, it damages their credibility when endorsing a specific candidate in a primary election, especially so many months in advance.This action is antithetical to the purpose of such organizations and is contradictory to the organization's purposes and goals.I urge all Republicans to research each of the seven Republican candidates as well as the issues and make your own decision when you go to the ballot box.It appears the leadership of the College Republican organization thinks that its members are incapable of deciding which Republican to choose and would rather listen to the views of the small majority that hold the power.

More articles »