Brian Desarro / ASSISTANT INTRIGUE EDITOR

News

Tough Times With Toddlers

Gregory Miller doesn't know why he has to stay with his grandmother in Mississippi.Traveling back and forth every few weeks to pick him up, Willette Miller, Gregory's mother and a graduate student in human development and family sciences, is faced with a tough choice: finishing her last semester of graduate school or taking care of her 11-month-old son.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Tough Times With Toddlers

Gregory Miller doesn't know why he has to stay with his grandmother in Mississippi.Traveling back and forth every few weeks to pick him up, Willette Miller, Gregory's mother and a graduate student in human development and family sciences, is faced with a tough choice: finishing her last semester of graduate school or taking care of her 11-month-old son."One of the ways that I am able to graduate is to have his paternal grandmother keep him because I just recently got laid off from my second job," Miller said. "Luckily, though, I do have a support base that is able to help me. If I didn't have that, I would basically have to drop out of school."Miller, who only needs to finish her thesis, is not alone in her struggle to go to school, maintain a steady income and take care of a small child.

The cover photo winner of last year's Best Friends Calendar contest was Cam, an orange and white Persian. Photo submitted by Stacee Strength, public relations director of Lee County Humane Society
News

Pets Pose For Photo Contest

It's time to primp your pooch, fluff your feline and brush your bunny because the Lee County Humane Society is accepting photo entries for the 2011 Best Friends Calendar.Entries, accepted April first through May 28 for $10 each, will be voted on during the summer to see which pet can capture the most votes and become the 2011 "Cover Pet.""We have people enter pictures of their pet and take a small entry fee," said Stacee Strength, public relations director of Lee County Humane Society.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Winery Joins Ala. Wine Trail

When Tim Watkins and Chad Ledbetter were brainstorming on how to use the 50 acres of land Watkin's father owned, an article in "Progressive Farmer" magazine inspired them to take a chance.Five years later, Whippoorwill Vineyards produces eight varieties of wine by hand and is one of the newest farm wineries to join the Alabama Wine Trail."Anytime you go to a winery, the winemaker themselves is going to define what the wine tastes like," said Chad Ledbetter, co-owner of Whippoorwill Vineyards.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

City Council Makes Its Own Music Rules

The job of most city councils is to meet and carry out the day-to-day services and needs of a city.However, one city council is making waves in the Georgia hip-hop scene with a distinct hybrid mix of both Northern and Southern styles and a crossover sound that stays true to its roots.Dwayne "Jubee" Webb and Perry Valentyne, along with the "The Paper Street Band," have gained a large fan base and have been nominated for numerous awards for their soulful sounds as the hit group City Council."City Council is, of course, a hip-hop collaboration between Valentyne and myself, one that we have loved and raised from just an idea," Webb said.

News

Eating disorders destroy self image

Paula Abdul, Fiona Apple, Victoria Beckham, Kate Beckinsale, Kelly Clarkson and Princess Diana all have one thing in common. All of these women struggled with and overcame an eating disorder. Feb. 21 marks the beginning of National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, bringing attention to something usually kept behind closed doors.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Women are not alone, more than one million men are affected by eating disorders

During National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, a lot of attention is paid toward the portrayal of the female body image and the nearly 10 million women who suffer from a life threatening eating disorder.What is not focused on is the statistic that more than one million men in this country are fighting the same battle, many with little to no knowledge of how to get help."Many people still believe that eating disorders only affect females, so they may not be looking for eating disorder symptoms in males," said Jenna Silverman, senior staff clinician at the Auburn University Student Counseling Services."There tends to be greater stigma for men to talk about having any kind of mental health struggles, let alone concerns about their body image."Because of this, Silverman said that men are much less likely to recognize or seek out help for an eating disorder from friends, family or mental health professionals.Annette Kluck, assistant professor, said there are many factors leading to there being less awareness about men's eating disorders."The diagnostic criteria for anorexia originally included, and still does, the loss of a menstrual cycle for menstruating women," Kluck said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Opinion

Being Bold on Valentine's Day

I am certainly not proud of being one. My boyfriend says I should hide my face in shame. In public, I just put on a smile and act like nothing is bothering me.But I can't deny it any longer.I am a Valentine's Day hater.Embarrassing, right?Let me explain myself, though, because my reasons may not be what you were expecting.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Loaded Words Pack Punch

There once was a time when a fag was a fag, a bitch was a bitch and the word cunt was simply an anatomical expression.In recent years, however, loaded words like these have picked up new meanings, transforming them into hurtful insults."Words have a great deal of power; they can bring joy, cause damage and inflict pain," said Barbara Baker, director of the Women's Leadership Institute.

More articles »